Temporary housing for carpet anemone

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Haddoni arriving soon and don't have it's permanent tank ready. A friend was going to house it until my nem tank was fully ready but that fell through. My nem tank just saw water this weekend and has a few months before it'll be ready.

A couple options as I see it..

1 - Setup a temp QT tank for the Anemone. I have all the equipment and can throw it up fairly quick with borrowed water, LR, bio cubes, etc from my current tank to skip the cycle.

2 - Rearrange my current established (30 gal AIO) tank to temporarily house the nem until her new home is ready. I would have to somehow catch the fish I care about and move them into a QT tank because I don't want the nem to accidentally eat them.

I prefer option 1 but not sure how well the Nem would would do in a newly setup holding tank.

Anyone thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend option 2 as well. Instead of removing the fish, maybe just get a tank separator instead?

Something like this:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with an established system any day unless the nem is being treated. To separate/ make a box for it, I use these all the time

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. The acclimation box is a great idea. Suppose I could add some sand into it to keep the nem happy for a while?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why I suggested a separator versus other options is precisely because haddoni like sand, at least 3" deep. It's really hard to accomplish in either an acclimation box or plant basket. Unless it's a really small haddoni, it'll never feel comfortable in either one.

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update...

I decided to setup the holding tank for the two fish I was worried about, a pink streaked wrasse and a yellow assessor. Luckily, they were both easy to catch. Both were hiding in crevices in a piece of LR that didn't have any corals on it. Moved the rock to the new tank and out popped both fish. Quite lucky.

The new carpet anemone seems to be doing well. Kept lights off all of yesterday and going to let the normal light schedule run today. I think this should be fine?

IMG_20200314_135812.jpg

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female (I believe) clown never wanted anything to do with an anemone until I added the carpet. Now she can't get enough.

Love these anemones so far. Very cool animals.

IMG_20200326_171704.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back