Temporary ich treatment

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I have had ich before and I went fallow for 80 days which sorted the problem. Since then I have acquired more fish including 3 tangs and ich has returned. I quarentined everything and still it has got back in.

Anyway.. I know going fallow is the way forward but I'm moving house in the next 2 months and dont want to risk catching and moving the fish twice.

So I want to try to supress it untill then with good water quality and good food. I currently feed a variety of frozen including mysis shrimp, prawns, bloodworm, brine shrimp and plankton twice per day plus nori once per day.

I heard adding a garlic additive can help? Can some suggest to me how many times per day I should feed frozen and nori and also suggest a garlic additive product? I have a powder blue and regal tang showing some spots.

Any advice to get through the next 2 months before I move house would be greatly appreciated

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "quarantine" everything what is that process? I am asking because that means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "quarantine" everything what is that process? I am asking because that means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.
30 days observational quarentine in a 4 foot tank. I did use copper for a while but kept loosing fish so decided to try the observation route observing every day . No illness spotted st all. I have not quarentined corals or inverts though. Maybe this is how it got in

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am new to quarantine (have been doing it for about 3 months) and was weary at first as well. I will say I have not lost a fish (but I have been doing copper on "easy" fish). I think going back to QT fish again with meds will drastically decrease the chances of ich again. Again no expert just my thought.

How were you testing the copper? Which did you use? Where did you follow the information or get it from?

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am new to quarantine (have been doing it for about 3 months) and was weary at first as well. I will say I have not lost a fish (but I have been doing copper on "easy" fish). I think going back to QT fish again with meds will drastically decrease the chances of ich again. Again no expert just my thought.

How were you testing the copper? Which did you use? Where did you follow the information or get it from?
Seacham cupramine with seachem copper test kit to 5ppm. I found it caused a lot of stress and I lost 40% of fish so I stopped. I had great success with observational for 6 months so stuck with this method as I thought the risk of illness introduced to the tank via observation was less than the risk of continuing to loose 40% of my new fish. Obviously I messed up somewhere as ich is back. Maybe 5ppm was too high and a lower concentrate would have also been affective. This is what I was advised and I brought it up slowly over 5 days.

Anyway its back again and catching the fish will be extremely difficult and stressful so id rather wait until I move house. So looking for feeding and garlic advice for the short term. Thanks

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done ich management my entire time in the hobby. My new tank will be my first attempt doing QT.
The key to ich management is feed well and reduce stress. Live foods if possible like black or white worms, Along with LRS frozen soaked in silcon. Or something similar. You can also add fish oil to the food as well.
depending on the type of fish. You may have to feed multiple times a day. Fish become stressed when they feel like they won’t get enough food. A well fed fish is a happy fish.
garlic and other things main purpose is to entice the fish to eat. I have had zero luck over the years with it.

good luck

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks kershaw. How many times a day should I feed for maximum comfort?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks kershaw. How many times a day should I feed for maximum comfort?
That depends on your fish and filtration. For 8 fish in a 125 which was my last tank. I fed in the morning and again after I got home from work. But if you have anthias which I have never owned I think you have to feed several times a day. Tangs graze all day. So maybe put some nori in the morning...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back