temporary low salinity for inverts

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting some fish shipped that will go straight into the display. They will be in water that is 30ppt salinity. I keep mine at 35ppt. @Lasse I only have shrimp, snails, stars, hermits and urchins at this point.

Would it be ok for my inverts to temporarily drop the salinity to 30ppt? If so, how many days should I take for that drop in salinity?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Whats the purpose of dropping it?

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp will die instantly so will crabs.. snails will probly be ok for certain species.. but i know crabs shrinks ect will perish

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the fish's shipping water will be at 30ppt, if I could ease the display down to 30ppt it would make it a lot smoother transition for the fish. Then I was going to top off with saltwater, letting evaporation bring the salinity back up. But if 30ppt will kill my inverts, I can't do it.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest using a small tank or clean container to utilize the drip method acclimating your new livestock to the higher salinity versus messing with your display tank's salinity. A nice slow drip should work well.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would get the tank salinity to 33ppt (1.024). If done slowly that should bemore than enough salinity for your inverters to survive.
Then I would slowly acclimate the fish to 33 ppt.
Puting new fish to a really high salinity stright on display is very dangerous imo. They will be prone to disease easily witht that high salinity.

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking along those lines-if I can't bring the DT down to 30ppt, drop it as low as is safely possible. I'm going to have coral eventually so I probably want to get back to 35ppt.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the fish but some are tolerant of salinity swings. Deepwater species not so much.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the fish but some are tolerant of salinity swings. Deepwater species not so much.
Its not just the swings. Fish will always do a lot better at lower salinity as they have to spend less energy on keeping up to a higher salinity.
Thids is specially the case when they are first introduced after a shipment for the first week. They will be less prone to diseases.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back