temporary nano reef downsize?

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Fishies :)

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2021
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
Location
AB
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I currently have a 35 gallon tank with a lawnmower blenny, two clowns, a cleaner shrimp and a couple snail's. My parents are moving and I need to downsize to a 5 gallon nano for the next 6-8 months if I want to keep my fish, which I do. The fish have had no issues together in the 35 gallon, I'm wondering if they'd be ok in a 5 gallon just temporarily until I can upsize to a 40 gallon in 6-8 months? I'm mostly worried about the blenny since she's probably 3.5 or 4". I just don't have any other options short of giving them away, I have no friends who are into reef aquariums near me to babysit my blenny for me in their tank.
 
Hi, I currently have a 35 gallon tank with a lawnmower blenny, two clowns, a cleaner shrimp and a couple snail's. My parents are moving and I need to downsize to a 5 gallon nano for the next 6-8 months if I want to keep my fish, which I do. The fish have had no issues together in the 35 gallon, I'm wondering if they'd be ok in a 5 gallon just temporarily until I can upsize to a 40 gallon in 6-8 months? I'm mostly worried about the blenny since she's probably 3.5 or 4". I just don't have any other options short of giving them away, I have no friends who are into reef aquariums near me to babysit my blenny for me in their tank.
In a 5 gallon you could keep the blenny or the two clowns, or both if you want to set the tank up to do continuos water changes, keep a lid on the tank to keep the fish in, and provide a lot of hiding places for the fish during their confinment.

How often can you change water, top off, etc with the 5 gallon time-out tank? Will the tank be in an environment where it won't heat up or cool down much? HTH.
 
In a 5 gallon you could keep the blenny or the two clowns, or both if you want to set the tank up to do continuos water changes, keep a lid on the tank to keep the fish in, and provide a lot of hiding places for the fish during their confinment.

How often can you change water, top off, etc with the 5 gallon time-out tank? Will the tank be in an environment where it won't heat up or cool down much? HTH.
Continuous like every week or every 2 weeks? And like 25 or 50% water changes maybe? I've never had a nano tank before so I'm not sure what the water change schedule is like, in my 35G I only do 5 gallons every few weeks. I could do water changes weekly if needed but bi-weekly would be easier. 5 gallons isn't much. And yeah the tank would be indoors out of the light
 
Fish waste in 5 gallons pollutes the tank faster. A gallon a day, or the whole 5 gallons each week, however you go it will need to be a larger % volume of the tiny tank to keep the fish healthy. Feed less will help, but might increase predation activity.
 
Fish waste in 5 gallons pollutes the tank faster. A gallon a day, or the whole 5 gallons each week, however you go it will need to be a larger % volume of the tiny tank to keep the fish healthy. Feed less will help, but might increase predation activity.
A gallon a day? Jesus that's more than I expected. I'll have to think about it and look Into it more, thanks for the input though!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new