temporary nano reef downsize?

Fishies :)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I currently have a 35 gallon tank with a lawnmower blenny, two clowns, a cleaner shrimp and a couple snail's. My parents are moving and I need to downsize to a 5 gallon nano for the next 6-8 months if I want to keep my fish, which I do. The fish have had no issues together in the 35 gallon, I'm wondering if they'd be ok in a 5 gallon just temporarily until I can upsize to a 40 gallon in 6-8 months? I'm mostly worried about the blenny since she's probably 3.5 or 4". I just don't have any other options short of giving them away, I have no friends who are into reef aquariums near me to babysit my blenny for me in their tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I currently have a 35 gallon tank with a lawnmower blenny, two clowns, a cleaner shrimp and a couple snail's. My parents are moving and I need to downsize to a 5 gallon nano for the next 6-8 months if I want to keep my fish, which I do. The fish have had no issues together in the 35 gallon, I'm wondering if they'd be ok in a 5 gallon just temporarily until I can upsize to a 40 gallon in 6-8 months? I'm mostly worried about the blenny since she's probably 3.5 or 4". I just don't have any other options short of giving them away, I have no friends who are into reef aquariums near me to babysit my blenny for me in their tank.
In a 5 gallon you could keep the blenny or the two clowns, or both if you want to set the tank up to do continuos water changes, keep a lid on the tank to keep the fish in, and provide a lot of hiding places for the fish during their confinment.

How often can you change water, top off, etc with the 5 gallon time-out tank? Will the tank be in an environment where it won't heat up or cool down much? HTH.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 5 gallon you could keep the blenny or the two clowns, or both if you want to set the tank up to do continuos water changes, keep a lid on the tank to keep the fish in, and provide a lot of hiding places for the fish during their confinment.

How often can you change water, top off, etc with the 5 gallon time-out tank? Will the tank be in an environment where it won't heat up or cool down much? HTH.
Continuous like every week or every 2 weeks? And like 25 or 50% water changes maybe? I've never had a nano tank before so I'm not sure what the water change schedule is like, in my 35G I only do 5 gallons every few weeks. I could do water changes weekly if needed but bi-weekly would be easier. 5 gallons isn't much. And yeah the tank would be indoors out of the light

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish waste in 5 gallons pollutes the tank faster. A gallon a day, or the whole 5 gallons each week, however you go it will need to be a larger % volume of the tiny tank to keep the fish healthy. Feed less will help, but might increase predation activity.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish waste in 5 gallons pollutes the tank faster. A gallon a day, or the whole 5 gallons each week, however you go it will need to be a larger % volume of the tiny tank to keep the fish healthy. Feed less will help, but might increase predation activity.
A gallon a day? Jesus that's more than I expected. I'll have to think about it and look Into it more, thanks for the input though!

Back