Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. Design update on the DeskPal™ AIO Nano(s). We are going to base the sizes on our current lineup of Simplicity™ desktops. For those of you who just joined us, the Simplicity™ desktops were the first crowdsource Tenecor did. The tanks are now very good sellers albeit at a higher price point than what the DeskPal™ will be. The current ones we have are tricked out with sidewall blackouts, sump AND view are lids, and integrated tops. Really sweet little tanks. Now, what we are proposing is taking the current lineup's dimensions and offering them as DIY with three important differences 1) square corners for ovious reasons, 2) topless and finally the most radical change, media caddies as pictured from @Tom Bishop 's post. The first one will be this one. MSRP will start at sub $100 and go up from there. The gang here will get these for much less than the MSRP. Available options will include, choice of filter wall color, lid, clear/day-glo blue/red/clear/black bottom/sicce® 158 pump. And the sump will be FIVE inches wide.
Is this one going to be out this week?

Biglex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. Design update on the DeskPal™ AIO Nano(s). We are going to base the sizes on our current lineup of Simplicity™ desktops. For those of you who just joined us, the Simplicity™ desktops were the first crowdsource Tenecor did. The tanks are now very good sellers albeit at a higher price point than what the DeskPal™ will be. The current ones we have are tricked out with sidewall blackouts, sump AND view are lids, and integrated tops. Really sweet little tanks. Now, what we are proposing is taking the current lineup's dimensions and offering them as DIY with three important differences 1) square corners for ovious reasons, 2) topless and finally the most radical change, media caddies as pictured from @Tom Bishop 's post. The first one will be this one. MSRP will start at sub $100 and go up from there. The gang here will get these for much less than the MSRP. Available options will include, choice of filter wall color, lid, clear/day-glo blue/red/clear/black bottom/sicce® 158 pump. And the sump will be FIVE inches wide.
When will this one go out I want one!

demonclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo! I can't wait for this one!

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been playing with a proposed sump design for the frag tank and am hoping for some feedback on this. Below is my current revision. Currently it is sized to allow for 1/2 inch drain pipes and has a 4.5" x 5" area for a filter sock or media cup etc. I have also modified where the drain pipes drop into the filter area so as to allow for more room in the main chamber. The main chamber is 5.5" x 10.5". The pump chamber is then 5" x 4.875". This pump area may limit some pump choices but should fit an array of smaller pump suitable for this size tank. Depending on media basket used it may be possible to reduce the filter cup area size and allow for more room in the pump section. I stuck with the 1/16" slot size between the main chamber and the pump chamber to match the frag tank overflow. The slots from the filter chamber to the main chamber I opted for larger slots to not present resistance to flow through the filters. I have also incorporated overflow slots in the filter chamber if the filter clogs as well as a slightly lower divider wall between the filter and pump chamber as a last ditch safety measure. Let me know of any concerns or feedbacks or requests to improve this.

sump v2 front.PNG

sump v2 back.PNG

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been playing with a proposed sump design for the frag tank and am hoping for some feedback on this. Below is my current revision. Currently it is sized to allow for 1/2 inch drain pipes and has a 4.5" x 5" area for a filter sock or media cup etc. I have also modified where the drain pipes drop into the filter area so as to allow for more room in the main chamber. The main chamber is 5.5" x 10.5". The pump chamber is then 5" x 4.875". This pump area may limit some pump choices but should fit an array of smaller pump suitable for this size tank. Depending on media basket used it may be possible to reduce the filter cup area size and allow for more room in the pump section. I stuck with the 1/16" slot size between the main chamber and the pump chamber to match the frag tank overflow. The slots from the filter chamber to the main chamber I opted for larger slots to not present resistance to flow through the filters. I have also incorporated overflow slots in the filter chamber if the filter clogs as well as a slightly lower divider wall between the filter and pump chamber as a last ditch safety measure. Let me know of any concerns or feedbacks or requests to improve this.

sump v2 front.PNG

sump v2 back.PNG
I don't know enough about the technical side of it to say, but I'd be willing to give it the old college try for this frag tank build.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sump v2 front.PNG

sump v2 back.PNG

Only thing I see is evaporation will take from all chambers so may not be ideal for anyone without an ATO and may be a pain to clean debris or rescue any fish in the pipe chamber.

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I see is evaporation will take from all chambers so may not be ideal for anyone without an ATO and may be a pain to clean debris or rescue any fish in the pipe chamber.
It wouldn't be hard to fit a lid for this sump if required for evaporation. I figure this would not be too different from an open to AIO as far as evaporation rates go. I planned on just doing daily top offs when feeding. I agree with the difficulties the small chambers pose as to cleaning. My thoughts on this was that the volume of flow through this small chamber would be enough to keep the debris in suspension. This small chamber is only going to hold about 0.13 gallons of water. Assuming a flow rate of 2-300 gallons per hour you are talking a 1500-2000x turnover rate in this little chamber. A for a fish getting stuck in this area. I honestly don't know a good way to design that risk out and maintain the desired functionality of the sump. My hope is the micro-slots on the weir of the frag tank will serve their purpose and prevent any fish from getting down. As I said, your concerns are valid, I just have not seen a good solution for them yet without overcomplicating the design for a DIY build.

I'm open to suggestions on trying different designs though to see if it would work better. If you have any thoughts you would like to see I'm willing to do some other sketches and will post them up for feedback. I often find that until I see something on paper I cannot fully ascertain the benefits or risks of a design.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone else have their shipment cancelled? I had a FedEx label created Wednesday but it was cancelled on Thursday.
Ya, I reached out to support and apparently there was an issue with the shipping label(s). A new label was made and shipping resumed as normal. They sent a me new tracking link for my order and I have an ETA of delivery for this afternoon.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just arrived! It looks so good. And thanks for the little acrylic decor piece, so cute. Build thread incoming!
Make sure you take extra time to line up the pieces along the what will be the bottom of the walls. This way you will get a better bottom perimeter seam. The pieces should be dead on the same dims but still make sure the bottom edge lines up.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you take extra time to line up the pieces along the what will be the bottom of the walls. This way you will get a better bottom perimeter seam. The pieces should be dead on the same dims but still make sure the bottom edge lines up.
Roger roger! thanks for the tip. I have weldon 16 leftover from an earlier acrylic project so going to be taking plenty of time on the prep and clamp.

BTW not sure what others are using but I'm using 1/2" lifegard bulkheads and the holes are sliiiiightly too snug on the dry fit. Like I can force it through but just 1/8" diameter larger would be smooth

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger roger! thanks for the tip. I have weldon 16 leftover from an earlier acrylic project so going to be taking plenty of time on the prep and clamp.

BTW not sure what others are using but I'm using 1/2" lifegard bulkheads and the holes are sliiiiightly too snug on the dry fit. Like I can force it through but just 1/8" diameter larger would be smooth
We use lifeguards also. The holes are snug by design. Sloppy holes are one of the primary reasons bulkheads end up leaking over time.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar Red and Polar Blue. We also offered Emerald Green in the past but it was not a popular choice. Orange? Never.
It’s so funny about how green wasn’t popular. I had my sump built in neon green because it looked so sharp to me, just goes to show how different people have entirely different tastes lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back