Tentacles in zoa colonies

DudeBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of my zoa colonies have what looks like tentacles coming out of them in a few spots. Definitely not part of the zoa colony. Any idea what they are?

zoa1.jpg

zoa2.jpg

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOO!!!!

so....now what? I dont have a QT, only my 210g display and I've got lots of coral......ideas?
If you have a tank that big a qureentine tank would be a great investment in my opinion, that way you can monitor your in going pests and keep the DT pest free

OP
OP
DudeBoy

DudeBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a tank that big a qureentine tank would be a great investment in my opinion, that way you can monitor your in going pests and keep the DT pest free
agree 100%....this is our first tank and we figured going big might be easier....nevertheless....what now? Any types of fish we can buy that eat aptasia, medicines we can add to the tank, pixie dust, magic tricks,......

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut away the zoa's, but try and keep them on the Hard part of the plug, so you can reglue them where they attached..
Zoa's don't hold well with Glue, they may float away.

Maybe break up the plug and look for the atpasia and toss those pieces of frag plug.
Maybe if you can use xacto knife to slice away the Aptasia. Then rinse the plug with Salt water in sink before putting back.

Zoa's are tough. They will come back even if you mangle them a bit to get the Aptasia removed.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOO!!!!

so....now what? I dont have a QT, only my 210g display and I've got lots of coral......ideas?

GL. There are many ways to combat aiptasia--which one is better is still up for discussion. Please do a search and decide how you want to go after it.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree 100%....this is our first tank and we figured going big might be easier....nevertheless....what now? Any types of fish we can buy that eat aptasia, medicines we can add to the tank, pixie dust, magic tricks,......
Well Coperbands Butterfly love baby Aptasia, but it's a tough fish to get eating.
Another option is Pepermint Shrimp.
A 100% solution for Aptasia is Berghia's Nudi's. They only eat aptasia, and when no more Aptasia, they die. (Berghia are hard to find), but my tank had Hundreds of Aptasia, and 4 Berghia's with One Small Copperband got them all. Even in Sump.
Chemical options are Aptasia-X and Joe's Juice. Just a drop and Aptasia melt to nothing. But not easy to get aptasia where you can't reach.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No Panic. it is a simple removal.
Using a syringe , use either lemon juice OR preferably kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and inject into the center core of the aptasia and it will melt away.

OP
OP
DudeBoy

DudeBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are awesome...thanks for all of the help. I read up on the nudibranch and they dont recommend for my situation (less than 10 aptasia in such a large tank)....but if it goes full on outbreak, I'll definitely consider. I guess tomorrow after work will be aptasia hunting time with kalkwasser paste. : )

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia x but like I said best to remove it first do some research and you will see what I mean I had to tear down a tank and restart it do to this pest

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish worked wonders for me. Takes them a little while to realize the aiptasia are there before they start eating them

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back