TenUhC's 120 Gallon Tank

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you have to clean algae off those after a while. Now I'm thinking you could just use low light without the live coral, so you may not have to worry much about it.

Edit: I think I remember you saying you would put some coral in, so the low lighting wouldn't work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TenUhC

TenUhC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told they can be taken out and cleaned, but that is not a appealing option. I am hoping I can carpet bomb the tank with snails and red leg hermits. Anything that will keep them clean. There are a few ground corals. 2 plates and a brain. So I will still need light.

zsteph

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can accept the inserts but that sand, oh that sand! ;)

I see a pretty blue plate coral that seems to be lonely. That thing better grow up big and strong!

Raquel12771

Goddess of Metal Trivia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand, if you have all this artificial coral, why mix in live coral?
Sorry, its the architect in me.

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand, if you have all this artificial coral, why mix in live coral?
Sorry, its the architect in me.

I think it's OK to mix it up, the real coral might even encrust on the fake ones.
It makes the whole thing look better.
Like fake eyelashes or fake..never mind. It is the pleasing overall effect. I can see somepeople snubbing their nose on fake coral ( "you should post on fakereef2fakereef"). But even BSL uses fake jellyfish!
remember Matt, you are doing this only for yourself

OP
OP
TenUhC

TenUhC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can accept the inserts but that sand, oh that sand! ;)

I see a pretty blue plate coral that seems to be lonely. That thing better grow up big and strong!
Funny, the blue plate hasn't said anything about being lonely. It thanked me for bringing it home and putting it on a sand that in his words not mine, "makes me pop!" So..... Lol.

Raquel12771

Goddess of Metal Trivia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, this is exactly why I don't like posting to forums. First off, I didn't say a word about his tank looking bad. I just asked a simple question because I am new to the hobby and didn't understand the mixing of live and artificial, especially with me being an architect, I don't normally see the mixing of the two. I think his tank looks fine, I was just curious. Now I am accused of snubbing my nose at someone, which is not the case at all. Thanks for making me look bad for asking a simple question.

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, this is exactly why I don't like posting to forums. First off, I didn't say a word about his tank looking bad. I just asked a simple question because I am new to the hobby and didn't understand the mixing of live and artificial, especially with me being an architect, I don't normally see the mixing of the two. I think his tank looks fine, I was just curious. Now I am accused of snubbing my nose at someone, which is not the case at all. Thanks for making me look bad for asking a simple question.
don't stop posting please.
nobody is snubbing nobody, just talking about mix-and-match

OP
OP
TenUhC

TenUhC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took no offense to your question. My only answer is That I would never be able to rock scape or mount corals that would look like the fake stuff. I can however decorate it in 2-D. The corals that can and are usually on the sand are not hard to place. You may not know it but I am in a wheelchair and rely on friends and family to place corals and stuff for me. I'm also a little OCD and they never put it the way I would. And unlike yourself, I assume, with the architecture background and training, can see the way it will look in your minds eye. I have no vision except present vision. But please don't stop posting. I like the group we have got here.

cliferton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raquel12771 from what I could get out of reading through the post you were not being called out as snubbing your nose. you asked a question and with his response he just mentioned the fact that some of the "hardcore" reefers might take offence to putting faux corals in the tank. Kinda like someone taking a v6 mustang and putting GT badges on it. Some people could care less and some get all upset over it. Hey I am only like 5-6 months into this hobby and I feel like I ask stupid questions all the time, but I don't stop asking OH and I didn't mean I thought your question was stupid. I was ach wondering the same thing, but just hadn't gotten around to asking or researching it

EVen if you can see what the end product will be you still change it up. LOL maybe its the mechanical engineer in me, but I can see it and I know i'll have it just how i like it by revision F. I designed a custom wheel for a customer with matching rotors 2 weeks ago I bet I redrew that thing 15 times before I was happy enough with it to show it to the customer, but I could see it in my mind the whole time

Last edited:

cliferton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks awesome. Try not to kill all those pretty plastic corals lol. I'm ready to come pick up that sand so I can see it in person

OP
OP
TenUhC

TenUhC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hereis a status update on my 120 gallon tank. I finally got my new sump in tonight. Here is a pic of the whole thing minus the water.

BD03A0F0-2BEC-47AD-AFA8-8D3DB00C7BEE-2795-000001E84A994031_zps4b69294a.jpg

It might be hard to believe but this is the utility area of the sump, and thats cleaner and better organized than what I had before. There is a Aqua C EV-180 skimmer. A Mag drive 9 pump powering the skimmer. A Mag Drive 12 return pump. A maxijet 900 pump supplying my chiller. A heater and the ATO pressure switch all in this area.

38653E95-F9B8-480E-A8E2-64895E969344-2795-000001E85DEA1260_zpscaceb224.jpg

My new refugium. This is the reason I wanted a new sump.

D9239EFD-F423-4605-8E35-C2E3E7A0EF14-2795-000001E8660CBDA3_zps2a23f7e5.jpg

I put live rock here where the water comes in and am going to try and run the sump without the socks at first. I hate sock maintenance.

B2F94FD7-EA1A-4D3F-8EE8-1B29A0F8357A-2795-000001E86DEB5343_zpsa3cd49af.jpg

Heres the pics of the same areas with water. Also note the refugium light and sump covers.

B40D2DED-64A1-4A5C-AF58-A682DB4D524E-2795-000001E875EBC784_zpsf8ef1a4c.jpg

I think I might have my water level too high.

1E11AE96-90F5-4BAD-BE51-D1ACB2332E57-2795-000001E8866D0E18_zps5fa470e7.jpg

AB14E57E-F616-447C-830F-606A11D8F7E1-2795-000001E88E14C7C2_zps52e5f8fd.jpg

F93E54E4-1BF2-4D49-84E9-9F497C5EAA0C-2795-000001E895021D86_zps699f3568.jpg

Until next time.

Vampyrk1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am digging it.. love it in person as well it allows you to enjoy it without the issues of help thats needed in upkeep! I think it is even prettier in person :)

Also loved the joke about fake reef food! I lol'ed hehehe... Keep on rolling with it Matt

Gauge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank man, Would love to do something bigger than my biocube in the future, just unsure how all the plumbing and different items (refugium/skimmer/reactors/etc) are all hooked up to the larger tank. How do you like the black sand?

OP
OP
TenUhC

TenUhC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Dave at BSL order it for me. It is not the used one he had in the store though. I believe it is the same model. Mine is a Aqueon ProFlex 4.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

ItsUrBoyBA

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super nice, I love that sump. I fully agree on the sock filter part, I have to change out mine about every other day.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back