Terelabrus Hogfish, anything to know about them?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently a batch of Indian Candy Cane Hogfish (Terelabrus flavocephalus) was made available and they seem like the perfect last addition for when I upgrade my NPS tank. However there doesn't seem to be much info about the genus in general. From what I can gather: They're very peaceful (odd for a hogfish), have relatively small mouths, like to bury in the sand at times, and stay on the smaller side. I've also heard they're very personable.

Anything else to know about them? They're a deepwater species so it makes sense on why you don't see them much. These one's aren't QTd but I was hoping to aquire one and QT it myself. It'd be living with a Trio of Randall's Anthias and a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse which are also peaceful and deepwater. The tank is going to run around 74F.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently a batch of Indian Candy Cane Hogfish (Terelabrus flavocephalus) was made available and they seem like the perfect last addition for when I upgrade my NPS tank. However there doesn't seem to be much info about the genus in general. From what I can gather: They're very peaceful (odd for a hogfish), have relatively small mouths, like to bury in the sand at times, and stay on the smaller side. I've also heard they're very personable.

Anything else to know about them? They're a deepwater species so it makes sense on why you don't see them much. These one's aren't QTd but I was hoping to aquire one and QT it myself. It'd be living with a Trio of Randall's Anthias and a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse which are also peaceful and deepwater. The tank is going to run around 74F.
I believe these guys are fairly hard to get feeding and QT on most wrasses (Hogfish are species’ of wrasse) can be quite hard.
Honestly, what is your tank size? This species maxes out around 4-5 inches.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back