termites in my tank stand

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I'm quite sure I have termites in my stand. I have had flying ants (termites) in my apt flying at the lights at night. It's not termite season here I dont think (ft lauderdale). There are none out site. I thought til now they were coming in from outsite somehow. Until just now I see a lot of saw dust in back of my tank stand.
What do I do now? Do I need to fumigate my entire apartment? I dont see any indication of termites or dust anywhere else.
Edit: I know my condo (yes i'm in a condo ugh) to prevent termints has injected parts of the wood with some detterannt. Is that sometthing I need to do? I"m thinking I need to call a termite expert?

TIA

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orkin? I just dont want whoever comes to check it out by default tell me I need way more treatment than I really do.. such as tear the apartment up unless really needed

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hold for a sec, low chance of that if you aren't seeing actual wood boring holes in the stand

liklely: drain fly gnats. 98% likely. they came out of my apartment drains in prior place like a locust scourge and I had to buy the amazon lighten sticky traps to zap trays of them. not from wood borers, they emerged as drain death gnats and keeping drain covers in place fixed it 78% but never 100%

for ten months out of the year they emerged, drain flying flea micromonsters.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What woudl you do? Call a termite pro? or some other type of pro?
ghostbusters GIF

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hold for a sec, low chance of that if you aren't seeing actual wood boring holes in the stand

liklely: drain fly gnats. 98% likely.
THey look like flying ants with big wings
EDIT.. I cant say they look like flying ants! .. they have long wings compared to their bodies though. small bodies

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey mine were the size of a pencil tip, I mean tiny, even with wings unfolded whole thing size of a pencil lead tip/micro

yours are larger than that? mine were even hard to see/body details they were so small

you can easily see the segments and body details on yours?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THey look like flying ants with big wings
EDIT.. I cant say they look like flying ants! .. they have long wings compared to their bodies though. small bodies
The key is to count the body segments.

Ants have a three sections whereas Termites have two sections.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey mine were the size of a pencil tip, I mean tiny, even with wings unfolded whole thing size of a pencil lead tip/micro

yours are larger than that? mine were even hard to see/body details they were so small

you can easily see the segments and body details on yours?
I'm pretty sure I can see the body pretty easily. The wings were 1/2" long or longer. I'm thinking they are termites. I"M pretty sure looks similar to pic here.. termite

Attachments

• termite.jpg
    termite.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fumigate! The vapors are likely lethal to the tank. Call a professional, if they don't have experience with working around aquariums, call a different one!
I'm going to act asap, as soon as I can. Which means Monday or whenever pros are open. Instead of the hassle of whwat would need to be done to remove tank and put back on new stand (as you know that's a way over simplification), i'm going to move everything into my new tank (was going to be my 2nd tank) -- a 65 gallon. I now need to get a metal stand for that, not the wood it has now.
I'm going to try to keep my apt cool as I can til i get this taken care of.. i dont know if that will prevent the 'mites from spreading. I'm hoping there are no where else yet.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the stand is compromised some but what about the floor beams and the rest of the wood in your apt...If they are flying the main colony is to big and these that are flying are looking for new territory.
I dont know. I konw the building that I live in has termites.. We havfe been dealling with them over the years and have them supposedly under control. So if they are in the beams of the buiding they prob already have been there.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 83 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.6%
Back