OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm have a dehumidifer also.. I'll keep it as low as I can and temp as close to 70 as I can (i get cold easy ugh). If i need to go to upper 60's til it's fixed I'll have to.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your stand is compromised, I would act quickly. Empty tank into totes, and put the tank on a board on the floor if nothing else (temporary).
This sounds like a Huge overaction to me.

A couple 2x4s strategically placed would be able to temporarily support any slightly compromised stand.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a Huge overaction to me.

A couple 2x4s strategically placed would be able to temporarily support any slightly compromised stand.
I'm getting rid of it.. moving it all into my upcoming 65. I really shoudl have a big tank on 4th floor of a condo like this 125 .. 65 is still 'too big' but it's not a 125.
Thanks for the info.. if anyone else has any other comments, I appreciate all of them!. I'll up date on whats goign on , i'm sure other southern high humidity reefers may get similar issue as mine -- maybe dont even know it yet

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that might be 100% termites ha nice call, somewhere an entomologist is smiling

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting rid of it.. moving it all into my upcoming 65. I really shoudl have a big tank on 4th floor of a condo like this 125 .. 65 is still 'too big' but it's not a 125.
Thanks for the info.. if anyone else has any other comments, I appreciate all of them!. I'll up date on whats goign on , i'm sure other southern high humidity reefers may get similar issue as mine -- maybe dont even know it yet
If you haven't read through it, I'd recommend hopping over to the big tank transfer thread, and give it a read. There are a lot of good tips and tricks in there for successful tank transfers. Sometimes the order of operations makes all the difference.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't read through it, I'd recommend hopping over to the big tank transfer thread, and give it a read. There are a lot of good tips and tricks in there for successful tank transfers. Sometimes the order of operations makes all the difference.
i'll look over that.. TY for that!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since your new stand is still not being used maybe you should get some wood treatment product and paint the new stand with it . There are alot of products out there. I am adding onto our house and treating all the new wood by painting the wood with termite treatment stuff before we closed in the walls.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since your new stand is still not being used maybe you should get some wood treatment product and paint the new stand with it . There are alot of products out there. I am adding onto our house and treating all the new wood by painting the wood with termite treatment stuff before we closed in the walls.
so there is a coating/treament that I can apply that will prevent termite? I'd love that. .. you hav a link to something?

EDIT: I'll start a thread asking about this. TIA for that ! It's good thagt I been procrastinating setting that 2nd tank up now lol since it was going to be set up on the untreated wood stand

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
termites live outside in the dirt and tunnel to your house to feed, then return to the nest. if you have termites you should see mud tunnels leading up foundation to the wood.
if they ran out of food in your walls not likely. if you have termites in your furniture i think thats the least of your problems. get an id on what they are, and go from there instead of over reacting. termites really dont fly, but they will in the spring when they swarm like brandon mentioned coming out of the drains.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
termites live outside in the dirt and tunnel to your house to feed, then return to the nest. if you have termites you should see mud tunnels leading up foundation to the wood.
if they ran out of food in your walls not likely. if you have termites in your furniture i think thats the least of your problems. get an id on what they are, and go from there instead of over reacting.
TY for that.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Termites really only swarm in the spring in South Florida from my experience. Look for telltale signs in the cabinet.....piles of wood dust, tiny rounded grains

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, several option for treating wood with something that penetrates the wood. I did some reading and this product works the best so I bought it to treat all the new lumber to our house addition. It is called BORO-CARE, you can buy it on line. Not sure if they will sell/ship to Florida as there are some States that regulate stuff like that. It is a process to use, it is thick and you have to mix it with warm water and a drill. Then paint it on the wood and it soaks in. Takes time to dry. For the tank stand you may have to wipe it off after a few days before you paint the stand as the product may stay a little tacky. I was told this product is what they use in Hawaii cause thermites are bad there.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Termites really only swarm in the spring in South Florida from my experience. Look for telltale signs in the cabinet.....piles of wood dust, tiny rounded grains
I see for the first time today there is saw dust in the stand compartment... I'm working this week on getting rid of it. i'll get a pro if I need to after I get this cleaned up. I need to seal my next tank stand...

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use diatomaceous earth or silica gel (it's a powder) to line the crevasses of the stand. Should be safe around the tank (relatively speaking). Good luck!

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, several option for treating wood with something that penetrates the wood. I did some reading and this product works the best so I bought it to treat all the new lumber to our house addition. It is called BORO-CARE, you can buy it on line. Not sure if they will sell/ship to Florida as there are some States that regulate stuff like that. It is a process to use, it is thick and you have to mix it with warm water and a drill. Then paint it on the wood and it soaks in. Takes time to dry. For the tank stand you may have to wipe it off after a few days before you paint the stand as the product may stay a little tacky. I was told this product is what they use in Hawaii cause thermites are bad there.
Thanks for that.. i'm ordering from amazon, it's ok to go to FL. I just wish it would get here this week (it's predeicted end next week (aobut two weeks from now ) , there is no option for faster shippping. The manufac. web site has faster shipping opts but it's $20 mre there and it's $55 for 2nd day ship.. $13 for ups ground. bleh.
Is this ok for a mixer?:

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use diatomaceous earth or silica gel (it's a powder) to line the crevasses of the stand. Should be safe around the tank (relatively speaking). Good luck!
I dont understand what you mean to do . Instead of taking the stand down I should put the silica gel in the stand cracks? cc

Back