Terrible Damsels

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but that actually sounds like a fun way to grab them if you're fast enough. :D

I picked out just the clear suction tube that was about 1/2" wider than his fins when spread so he wouldn't feel too confined. I put some sand on the entrance so there was depth of vision with it all being clear. He checked it out a few times and once he got a piece of floating shrimp debris he went right in looking for more. They'll swim forward before trying to swim backward so you have a second or so to get a net on the open end if an escape happens. In this case he darted to the end, smacked the end hard, turned around a couple times and I got it vertical and covered with the net before he figured out what way was up or out.

OP
OP
moseley75

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I got a good laugh from the mental picture I got of sucking him up with the siphon.

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have torn down 2 rock works to get damsels out of my tanks. Once in a 29bio cube. 3 striped damsel. Wasnt bout to let him kill the more expensive fish. Second was a blue spot damsel which started out fine but became apig and with in 3 months went from being the smallest fish to the same size has every other fish. I started seing it become aggressive so i started to remove him. Most fish i had to remove which is few has taken chasing them around the tank till they get tired then they give up.

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be difficult to catch for sure. If you can starve the tank and use a clear acrylic trap with a food trail you can usually catch them. Just don't rush the trap. They are paranoid and once you ruin the surprise, they don't forget.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back