Terrible Damsels

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just about ready to buy a lionfish and let it eat these Damsels. Are there any small fish that will fight back?

OP
OP
moseley75

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried not feeding them and using a trap to catch them but they won't go in the trap. The only residents in my tank at the moment are two Damsels, a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and some snails and hermits.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traps take a lot of patience. Hungry fish will go in there eventually. Try leaving the trap in the tank for several days before you try to actually trap them. During that time, feed them through the trap so they start associating it with food.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'vehad success putting a small mirror in the back of a fishtrap. Territorial fish take issue with their own kind, than with other species.

What size is the tank? Open swimmers usually have less of a problem with damsels. A group of zebra dartfish, grammistes blenny, chromis.

Also, sturdy fish such as a midas, starry, or algae blenny can hold their own against damsels.

OP
OP
moseley75

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is only 28 gal. It is a 20x20x20. The water is 19.5 deep.
Thanks for the great ideas.

OP
OP
moseley75

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I've considered the fish hook. I have some really small ones that I tie flys with.

OP
OP
moseley75

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some info that says they will calm down if there are 3 or more. Any thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some info that says they will calm down if there are 3 or more. Any thoughts?
It can work, but with 2 established ones you will need to add at least 3 more for the new ones to have a chance. In a 28g that would be your stocking, just damsels. It would be colorful and active though.

webbl19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels do suck. I have a yellow tail also and 2 bigger blue damsels. The yellow tail kicks their butts even though he's smaller. Doesnt seem to mess with my other fish in the tank. Only fights with the other damsels.

Now my blue damsels are total jackwagons. Even come after me if i put my hand in the tank lol. Had 3 at one time and the other 2 killed it.

Last fish i put in though was a coral beauty and he taught them all a lesson.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha... yeah, damsels can be belligerent things! I've got 3 humbugs in a 320g. They are by far the smallest fish in the tank but they hold their own against 2 maroon clowns and tangs. They bite my hand every time it goes in the tank... they literally have no fear, they were fronting up to my dog the other day!

If you can control the aggression they are cracking little fish and are insanely hardy... I swear if a nuke is dropped the survivors would be cockroaches, rats and damsels (and xenia, obviously!).

Hosscooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a dotty back, half purple half yellow. We nick named him blueduck after the character in lonesome dove. The only other fish are two clowns. So far he has run out of the tank a fire fish, diamond goby and a peppermint shrimp. He however runs from me when i work in the tank. He knows I'm after him, and will kick his butt out of my tank if I get him.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just about ready to buy a lionfish and let it eat these Damsels. Are there any small fish that will fight back?
aww they are great, and live for years, just give them plenty of rocks so each can get it own territory then they are ok. I had 2 pair up and were laying eggs quite regular a while ago, trouble is all my other fish followed the female around and ate the eggs as they came out of her

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 6 azures in my 90G wall reef. I have 2 now, from fighting. I recently added a juvi blue tang and the bigger one(boss) had to go. He was constantly harassing so I set a trap using a sand vac tube and a piece of shrimp. He was so egotistical he went right in for the food. He's sitting in jail in the sump. #2 will be gone soon too.

Back