Territory issues

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a Midas blenny for my 32 gallon Biocube and my royal gramma and it are having territorial issues. The Midas has seemed to have kicked the gramma out of its two territories and the royal gramma is hiding somewhere else. Do you think these issues will resolve?

also, I know midas can live in 30 gallons+ but is my tank big enough for one to live comfortably?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a Midas blenny for my 32 gallon Biocube and my royal gramma and it are having territorial issues. The Midas has seemed to have kicked the gramma out of its two territories and the royal gramma is hiding somewhere else. Do you think these issues will resolve?
Sometimes, reworking your rock scape to create different landmarks in the tank will help with territorial issues.

Is the tank big enough? You probably should have asked yourself that question before you purchased it. ;)

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, reworking your rock scape to create different landmarks in the tank will help with territorial issues.

Is the tank big enough? You probably should have asked yourself that question before you purchased it. ;)
Rockwork is glued.

I did and it said 30 gallons or more. But the Biocube isn’t a wide tank and I know they like a lot of swimming room. So I’m unsure

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some midas, are just jurks. Gl getting it to change.
I unsure whether or not it’s a jerk or if this is just normal stuff. For all I know, my gramma could be the jerk. I had a pair of clownfish that I had to remove because they were bullying the gramma. Or it could have been the other way around but I suspect it was the first option because the clowns would always bite my hand even after being in the tank for a week

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to have to say, I had a midas and he was king jurk. There was no resetting him. Not even in a 60 gallon aquarium. The day I added a foxface, he killed himself. I am not kidding. He found an opening in my cover by the hob filter and was behind the aquarium dry like jerky.
Seriously, if you get your blenny to change. I am overly happy for you. Do let us know!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to say, I had a midas and he was king jurk. There was no resetting him. Not even in a 60 gallon aquarium. The day I added a foxface, he killed himself. I am not kidding. He found an opening in my cover by the hob filter and was behind the aquarium dry like jerky.
Seriously, if you get your blenny to change. I am overly happy for you. Do let us know!
I have set up the breeders net and I’m planning to catch the gramma today. The Midas has his stress colors and breathing heavily so hopefully I can make him calm down and resolve some territorial issues

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there actual fin damage? Or body damage?
No. They constantly fight though
Also, both of these fish are rock dwellers. There may not be enough space for both of them to have their own turf.
thats what I’m afraid of. This tank seems to have less and less rock space every time I add a fish. This is my tank. It has a fair amount of rock space on it. They were fighting over the grammas two territories last night and now the Midas is on a spot that the gramma doesn’t go to but he’s dark brown indicating stress. Should I just let it be? The first attempt at catching the gramma was not successful

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. They constantly fight though

thats what I’m afraid of. This tank seems to have less and less rock space every time I add a fish. This is my tank. It has a fair amount of rock space on it. They were fighting over the grammas two territories last night and now the Midas is on a spot that the gramma doesn’t go to but he’s dark brown indicating stress. Should I just let it be? The first attempt at catching the gramma was not successful
If there's no physical damage, leave it alone. Let them bicker. We over react all the time because of fish chasing. Now what to look for.

1. Physical damage.
2. Hiding and not eating.

When these things take place, there is real aggression. The typical chasing of in new fish is extremely common. You trying to catch the royal, is also stressing the midas.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no physical damage, leave it alone. Let them bicker. We over react all the time because of fish chasing. Now what to look for.

1. Physical damage.
2. Hiding and not eating.

When these things take place, there is real aggression. The typical chasing of in new fish is extremely common. You trying to catch the royal, is also stressing the midas.
Ok. I thought so. I guess I just hate watching fish aggression but I also know it’s natural. I’m letting it be for now. Midas is still in his spot. Gramma isn’t bugging yet probably because it’s morning and lights aren’t on but he’s swimming a little bit. If there are any of those two issues, ill become a little more proactive. I guess I just thought that fish never fight so if they chase or kick each other out their spots then it was also an issue.
I had a pair of clowns kill four fish in my 100 gallon. 2 hippo tangs, royal gramma, 6 line. Just protective of her spot
Unfortunately she’s got two spots she really likes and the Midas likes it as well. Now hes found a spot that the gramma doesn’t hang out in so hopefully territorial issues will be settled but my guess is they won’t like each other for some time

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork is glued.

I did and it said 30 gallons or more. But the Biocube isn’t a wide tank and I know they like a lot of swimming room. So I’m unsure

Ok... so short of buying another setup that provides the horizontal room to accommodate it's swimming habits, the only other thing you can do is think ahead.

Start finding someone that can you can give it to that has a tank more suited for it. Did you purchase it from a LFS? Maybe they can take it back for credit?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so short of buying another setup that provides the horizontal room to accommodate it's swimming habits, the only other thing you can do is think ahead.

Start finding someone that can you can give it to that has a tank more suited for it. Did you purchase it from a LFS? Maybe they can take it back for credit?
I did. I’m going to keep it for now until there’s too much aggression or it gets too big for the tank. Right now its like 3.5 inches

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back