Test b4 water change or after?

cvonessn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what is the common trend, do you test water parameters before a water change or after? Or both?

I've been doing either wc weekly since I have such a small tank its rather easy, but I test the parameters the next day. Am I doing it right?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not think it matters. Stay consistent with how you do it.

Yep just pick a schedule and stick to it. Same thing with time, try to test around same time of day as well.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to, in the beginning. But after some time it gets boring. And it uses up a lot of test reagent.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what is the common trend, do you test water parameters before a water change or after? Or both?

I've been doing either wc weekly since I have such a small tank its rather easy, but I test the parameters the next day. Am I doing it right?
A bit trendy !

“If you don’t know where you are going any road can take you there.” – Cheshire Cat (Source: Quotena.com)

Probably happens !

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do the same. Unfortunately, I don’t have any specific data or received any expert advice that this is correct. I only have my own reasoning: water change day for me includes other weekly maintenance activitit’s (cleaning, etc.) I give it a day and check to ensure everything is where I expect it to be.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you test before you notice earlier that your doser settings are wrong or if there are other problematic trends and you can set your dosages more accurately. If you test after you know what exactly you have to dose manually to correct significant problems.

I test before waterchanges, and IF I see a problem that needs manual dosage rather than just adjusting doser settings, then I test after as well to know how much.

Otago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After because the system I have just tested doesn't exist after I have done the water change. I also wouldn't test just before a timed event happens, like a doser going off.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test before to know where my PO4 numbers are at and that tells me how much to feed until the next water change. My salt mixes at the same number that I target for alk, so no big changes there. Alk is maintained with AFR and the dosage is dialed-in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back