Test kits for a soft coral tank

LordJoshaeus

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
600
Reaction score
540
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just learned today that the API test kits are not reliable enough for saltwater. What kits should I use instead for my 10 gallon soon to be soft coral tank? And what should I be concerned about measuring? (Aside from the standard ammonia/nitrite/nitrate during the cycle, that is). Thanks :)
 
Salifert, Hanna, or RedSea is what I tell everyone!

Get yourself Alk and Ca testers; you don't need Mg (refer to randys article about not needing to test Mg)

I also would make sure you have a reliable salinity checker and use a DIY calibration solution for it to make sure you are getting an accurate result each time.

Some people will also reccomend a PAR meter, I personally never had one as they aren't cheap. You can always borrow one or rent one from a friend if you are unsure about your tank's lighting
 
Hi! I just learned today that the API test kits are not reliable enough for saltwater. What kits should I use instead for my 10 gallon soon to be soft coral tank? And what should I be concerned about measuring? (Aside from the standard ammonia/nitrite/nitrate during the cycle, that is). Thanks :)
I've always used the API test kit for just keeping track when you are cycling a new tank.
As far as doing a softy tank, I tell people that just doing regular water changes with a decent salt is all you really need.
I haven't tested alk, ca, or mag in my softy tank for more than a couple decades.
 
Salifert, Hanna, or RedSea is what I tell everyone!

Get yourself Alk and Ca testers; you don't need Mg (refer to randys article about not needing to test Mg)

I also would make sure you have a reliable salinity checker and use a DIY calibration solution for it to make sure you are getting an accurate result each time.

Some people will also reccomend a PAR meter, I personally never had one as they aren't cheap. You can always borrow one or rent one from a friend if you are unsure about your tank's lighting
I calibrated my refractometer with distilled water...was that a mistake?
 
I never really test on my softie tank, when I do I test nitrate and phosphate only. Soft corals don't really consume alk or calcium so IMO those tests are not needed. I've never tested magnesium on any tank. IMO for a 10 gallon softie tank, keep it as simple as possible. I would use your API nitrate tester and buy a salifert phosphate tester, IMO thats good enough.
 
Hi! I just learned today that the API test kits are not reliable enough for saltwater. What kits should I use instead for my 10 gallon soon to be soft coral tank? And what should I be concerned about measuring? (Aside from the standard ammonia/nitrite/nitrate during the cycle, that is). Thanks :)
My man..... only took you 8 yrs to realize it ?
haha
nvr too late i guess
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new