Test kits!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chaos1783
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chaos1783

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
142
Reaction score
42
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know what brand of test kits everyone uses and why? I am using the api brand and I feel that there are definitely better ones out there but not sure which one I just get.
 
I use Hannah for alk and Salifert for everything else. I think there are very good arguments for going with Hanna for alk--the test is a quick, simple procedure, and it is notoriously accurate. It's also nice to get a number estimated by the device rather than a color chart that you have to squint at and make a subjective guess at which shade is closest. For everything else, I have a vague sense that Salifert and Red Sea tests have a better reputation than API, but opinions vary. At least one person has done some comparative testing, although I don't believe those tests had the benefit of a gold standard. There seems to be at least somewhat of a consensus on the Hannah alk test.
 
Ok I am going to look them up and do some research on them and see what others are saying. Like I said before I just don't feel the Api is working good for me and I want to get something that everybody has or is using and knows it's accurate
 
You will likely get a lot of opinions here. I personally use Hanna's for alk and phosphate, Salifert for all others.

I may get lambasted for this but I'm going to say it anyway. It's my opinion but I would recommend finding one that you are comfortable with - read easiest to use for you. Afterall, these are all hobby grade tests so find one that you can get consistent results with. Get your parameters within your target range, based on your testing, and then do what you need to do to keep them there.

The point is to shoot for consistency test over test, regardless of the test used. Keeping the results of each within the "acceptable" range should be your goal. The brand of test kit doesn't matter as much.

Again this is just my opinion and others will certainly let you know if they disagree.
 
I appreciate your opinion. That why I made this post to see what others are saying about different brand etc...
 
Good question and thread. I'll be watching the responses. I saw a BRS video that leaned slightly towards Red Sea over Salifert.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new