Test Kits

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once my API test kit runs out, what do you all recommend for the majors? I do have an apex but I don't rely on it completely... I've read many threads but wanted an updated poll :)

pH - Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate
DKH - Mg - PO4 - Ca - any others...

The API will be replaced with something.
I have Hanna for DKH and Calcium

Anything else recommended? Plans are for a mostly LPS, invert, Small to medium fish, but more focus on coral eventually...

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest salifert. Nitrate, and pH. I know the apex has a probe but you need to be sure that itbis calibrated as well. I would suggest a Hanna tester for phosphate....these are your basics...you probably will want a magnesium kit as well (from salifert)....not needed immediately but worth having. If you can find them Nyos makes really good kits, but salifert is easier to come by for most.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest salifert. Nitrate, and pH. I know the apex has a probe but you need to be sure that itbis calibrated as well. I would suggest a Hanna tester for phosphate....these are your basics...you probably will want a magnesium kit as well (from salifert)....not needed immediately but worth having. If you can find them Nyos makes really good kits, but salifert is easier to come by for most.

Thanks. I was thinking Salifert would be the way to go. The API just seems so cheap and the ranges aren't specific enough for me.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was thinking Salifert would be the way to go. The API just seems so cheap and the ranges aren't specific enough for me.
The API are good for when you are cycling the tank....but they are very inaccurate for anything outside of ammonia or nitrite....IME.... salifert are the " gold standard" I guess for most reefers....although as I said there are a few others that are really goood, but harder to get locally...the Hanna is the way to go for your alk, calcium, and po4 though!

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the simplicity of Red Sea. Nice cards not paper, good storage boxes. Also when buy the read sea refills works out to be less then the rest.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use
Cal = Red Sea Pro
Alk = Red Sea Pro
Mag = Salifert
Phos = Hanna Phosphorus ULR checker
Nitrate = Salifert

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sold on the Red Sea test kits too. Reliable and appear pretty accurate.
That is all one needs.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One note on the Red Sea Pro alk kit.
The endpoint on the card shows red.
The red just means a final color change. If your color ends at a peach / orange it's still accurate as the endpoint.
Red Sea needs to update their video :)

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate - Lamotte-expensive but highly rated and I've used it for 6 years. Refills are available
Calcium - Red Sea Pro
Alkalinity- Hanna checker (love)
Phosphate - Hanna low level checker (hate the powder packs but works great)
Mag -Nyos (switched from Red Sea Pro because it was consistently reading 300 ppm high)

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good plan.. I'm stealing the ideas- it seems from all of your experiences that a mix of kits is best.

As for salinity, I use a Refracrometer I got from BRS.

I also have an apex that watches salinity but my issues with microbubbles causes it to be off constantly...

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I just bought mine 120% worth the investment, don't be cheap like I was, spend the $40 dollars and get an accurate reading, I was running way high
Oh my, they've come down quite a bit. I think the cheapest one could get when I purchased mine was $100. I think I paid 120 for mine. I use calibration solution and check it way too often. It's just so old, I'm cautious.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a regular $40 refractometer and keep it calibrated at 35.
Don't use RODI and zero it out for calibration. It will not be accurate. Been there and done that. Got lazy started using RODI for 3 months. Bought some 35 solution and calibrated. Thought my display was at 1.025 SG. After calibration with 35 fluid I was really at 1.021 SG :eek:

Now with RH-F's blessing :) I stored my newly mixed water change water after I used the 35 calibration for future calibration without paying $10 a bottle.

See Link...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/refractometer-calibration-fluid-question.285469/

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back