TEST METER FOR TESTING NITRATES

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back in October of 2017 I posed about a DIY Test meter …The second post in Jan 2018 expanded the work to look at using the Hanna HI-736 PHOSPHOROUS Checker as the measuring instrument. As I mentioned at the end of the Jan post I was exploring the use of other Hanna Checkers mostly because I wanted to expand the measurement range. The HI-736 was good for low range Nitrate < 3ppm, but I wanted something that would measure up to 20 + ppm.

Here are the links to the previous posts:

Oct 15 2017 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-nitrate-test-meter.330892/#post-4114495

Jan 10 2018 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/using-hanna-phosphorous-checker-hi-736-to-test-for-low-levels-of-no3.350062/#post-4815606

After looking at several I settled on the HI-764 ULR Nitrite Checker, using the Red Sea Nitrate Pro Test Reagents. It gave me an expanded range as well as very good precision. (See Data Below)

I use almost exactly the same test development protocol that I described in the October 15 2017 post (see link above). As well as the same testing protocol described in the video posted on Jan 10 .The difference in the test development protocol was the concentrations of the calibration standards, and as mentioned in the Jan 10 post I used a standard salt solution to create the calibration standards. My calibration standards were 1ppm, 2ppm, 4ppm, 7ppm, 8ppm, 20ppm. All of there were prepared in salt water (reagent grade sodium Chloride)

I won’t bother you with the fine details of the test development. If you are interested PM me and I would be happy to answer your questions.

Below is the outcome of the work.

THE REGRESSION

upload_2018-12-23_18-11-27.png

FIG 1 Are the regression results from measurements made on each of the calibration levels. Each level is the result of 6 independent measurements.

The regression model was generated using the Excel Data Analysis as well as MyCurveFit program. The Goodness of the Regression is solid (Data Below)

GOODNESS OF FIT DATA

R2 =.9967

aR2 =.996

P = 2.169 X 10-7

SE = .433

F= 1498

TEST PRECISION (Same sample tested on 5 different days 4 times each trial)

The test precision is quite good (ppm)

upload_2018-12-23_18-12-27.png

TEST ACCURACY

In order to check the accuracy of the results for the last 9 months I have compared the results to the Red Sea Pro test kit as well as the NYOS test kit. I took the measured results and checked them vs. the color range that the sample tested in both the Red Sea and NYOS test kits. A sample of the data can be seen below. If you are interested in the total data set I can provide it to you.

upload_2018-12-23_18-13-10.png

upload_2018-12-23_18-14-3.png

As you can see the meter test results very consistently fall within the range of both the Red Sea and NYOS Test kits.

I have completed my data collection and now only use the test meter data in measuring my nitrate levels. It is interesting to note that I can monitor the impact of my carbon dosing on the nitrate level. You can see this looking at the above data from dates 10/15/18 to 12/10/18. During this period I increasing the dosing to bring the nitrate levels down. The first increase was on 10/16/16 and the second one was on 11/5/18. It might be an interesting question to explore if it might be possible to quantify the drop in nitrate to a specific dosing amount??

ADDITIONAL WORK

The nitrate test development work is continuing. The need to look at levels below 1 ppm and above 20 ppm may have some value so I will continue the efforts towards that.

I am currently working, using a similar procedure on developing a Iodine test method. I am about 2/3 complete and am currently gathering data on the test precision and accuracy. It uses the HI- 707 Nitrite LR as the meter and the Red Sea Iodine Test Reagents. I is a bit trickier because the reaction is time and temperature dependent so that adds some complexity to the procedure but thus far I have some encouraging results. Hope to post the results in the not to distant future.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
As you can observe from some of the posts on this Thread @taricha and @Dan_P have made important contributions to this effort. I would like to thank them for their support and efforts towards the goal of having more effective testing methods.

Well that pretty much wraps it up…Questions and comments welcomed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this. [emoji3]

Did you check the salinity/chloride effect on the accuracy?

I did....It had the same effect as the as the work that I did on the HI-736.....Meter reading decreasing as the Salinity Increased...The slope of the curve was almost Identical...I think given that I was using the same reagents for both tests I should expect the same results with regard to the effect....Correct? I prepared all of my standards at a salinity of 35ppt which is where I keep my system...I only tested the effect at one concentration level 1ppm...perhaps I should look at several levels...what do you think? Is there reason to suspect that at higher concentration levels the effect would be different? Since I ran all my standards in the 35ppm Salinity solution it was my thought that the salinity effect would be compensated for in the standard solution...or am I off track?..I considered incorporating a salinity correction component in the calculation but because my salinity is pretty constant decided it was not to...might have a second look at it later...Thanks for the question

rick

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something that should be explored further before others follow suit?
Or do you feel that using a Hanna Nitrite tester with Red Sea Pro Nitrate reagents gives accurate numbers?

Would love more information on how you preform the tests also. This would be a big improvement on trusting ones own eyes for color variations between reading colors.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back in October of 2017 I posed about a DIY Test meter …The second post in Jan 2018 expanded the work to look at using the Hanna HI-736 PHOSPHOROUS Checker as the measuring instrument. As I mentioned at the end of the Jan post I was exploring the use of other Hanna Checkers mostly because I wanted to expand the measurement range. The HI-736 was good for low range Nitrate < 3ppm, but I wanted something that would measure up to 20 + ppm.

Here are the links to the previous posts:

Oct 15 2017 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-nitrate-test-meter.330892/#post-4114495

Jan 10 2018 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/using-hanna-phosphorous-checker-hi-736-to-test-for-low-levels-of-no3.350062/#post-4815606

After looking at several I settled on the HI-764 ULR Nitrite Checker, using the Red Sea Nitrate Pro Test Reagents. It gave me an expanded range as well as very good precision. (See Data Below)

I use almost exactly the same test development protocol that I described in the October 15 2017 post (see link above). As well as the same testing protocol described in the video posted on Jan 10 .The difference in the test development protocol was the concentrations of the calibration standards, and as mentioned in the Jan 10 post I used a standard salt solution to create the calibration standards. My calibration standards were 1ppm, 2ppm, 4ppm, 7ppm, 8ppm, 20ppm. All of there were prepared in salt water (reagent grade sodium Chloride)

I won’t bother you with the fine details of the test development. If you are interested PM me and I would be happy to answer your questions.

Below is the outcome of the work.

THE REGRESSION

upload_2018-12-23_18-11-27.png

FIG 1 Are the regression results from measurements made on each of the calibration levels. Each level is the result of 6 independent measurements.

The regression model was generated using the Excel Data Analysis as well as MyCurveFit program. The Goodness of the Regression is solid (Data Below)

GOODNESS OF FIT DATA

R2 =.9967

aR2 =.996

P = 2.169 X 10-7

SE = .433

F= 1498

TEST PRECISION (Same sample tested on 5 different days 4 times each trial)

The test precision is quite good (ppm)

upload_2018-12-23_18-12-27.png

TEST ACCURACY

In order to check the accuracy of the results for the last 9 months I have compared the results to the Red Sea Pro test kit as well as the NYOS test kit. I took the measured results and checked them vs. the color range that the sample tested in both the Red Sea and NYOS test kits. A sample of the data can be seen below. If you are interested in the total data set I can provide it to you.

upload_2018-12-23_18-13-10.png

upload_2018-12-23_18-14-3.png

As you can see the meter test results very consistently fall within the range of both the Red Sea and NYOS Test kits.

I have completed my data collection and now only use the test meter data in measuring my nitrate levels. It is interesting to note that I can monitor the impact of my carbon dosing on the nitrate level. You can see this looking at the above data from dates 10/15/18 to 12/10/18. During this period I increasing the dosing to bring the nitrate levels down. The first increase was on 10/16/16 and the second one was on 11/5/18. It might be an interesting question to explore if it might be possible to quantify the drop in nitrate to a specific dosing amount??

ADDITIONAL WORK

The nitrate test development work is for the most part completed unless something unexpected issues would arise.

I am currently working, using a similar procedure on developing a Iodine test method. I am about 2/3 complete and am currently gathering data on the test precision and accuracy. It uses the HI- 707 Nitrite LR as the meter and the Red Sea Iodine Test Reagents. I is a bit trickier because the reaction is time and temperature dependent so that adds some complexity to the procedure but thus far I have some encouraging results. Hope to post the results early next year.

Well that pretty much wraps it up…Questions and comments welcomed.

Rick, this is a very thorough study with so much attention to detail. Reminiscent of the work that goes into methods validation in the pharmaceutical industry. I wonder if this post might be turned into an article. Love to read the story.

Hanna should sell a programmable Checker that has the option to download your own calibration curve. We also need a Checker hack to measure bacteria. Any ideas?

Looking forwards to your next big reveal.

Dan

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how everyone’s brain kicks into gear with a little inspiration.

Reasonably priced, programmable colorimeter would be great, BTW.

I agree...would make it much easier...

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how everyone’s brain kicks into gear with a little inspiration.

Reasonably priced, programmable colorimeter would be great, BTW.

Wish it was a simple circuit. I’d make one :)

Doing colorimetry accurately is fairly involved.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something that should be explored further before others follow suit?
Or do you feel that using a Hanna Nitrite tester with Red Sea Pro Nitrate reagents gives accurate numbers?

Would love more information on how you preform the tests also. This would be a big improvement on trusting ones own eyes for color variations between reading colors.

Good question....In the post I provided a chart that compared my results with the Red Sea Pro and NYOS Tests. These test are color comparison tests and only give ranges so I ran each test and determined where the results were in relationship to the color charts (like between 1 and 3 or 3 and 5 etc). As the chart indicates the results of the test have a very good correlation to the Red Sea & NYOS test. This gives me a high degree of confidence in the results...I continue to spot check my results but only on a limited basis....

Also here is a link to a video I did of the actual test procedure that I posted in Jan...The only difference is I used a different Hanna Checker (HI- 764 instead of the HI-736) of course the regression formula is different.

Thanks for your feedback

rick

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Youtube (follow along) video would be nice.

Here is a link to a video I posted with my Jan post that shows the complete procedure...the only difference is I use the HI-764 and not the HI-736...Is this what you were looking for

rick

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick, this is a very thorough study with so much attention to detail. Reminiscent of the work that goes into methods validation in the pharmaceutical industry. I wonder if this post might be turned into an article. Love to read the story.

Hanna should sell a programmable Checker that has the option to download your own calibration curve. We also need a Checker hack to measure bacteria. Any ideas?

Dan[/QUOTE

Thank you sir....I would be willing to work on an article...not sure how to go about it here on R2R

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dan

I replied to this once but I don't think it posted correctly... Just wanted to say thank you sir...Your help along the way was a great part of this effort...As for doing an article...I would be willing to work on one but I am not sure how to go about it on R2R...

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm going to test this out. I appreciate that you found a way to extend the range upward. I tried another wide-range checker method but found it didn't work well enough in my hands.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm going to test this out. I appreciate that you found a way to extend the range upward. I tried another wide-range checker method but found it didn't work well enough in my hands.

Let me know how it work for you...Just a note....If you don't keep your salinity at or near 35ppt the regression will be off...It will be consistent but it will be consistently high...I currently don't have a salinity correction for this test but am considering working on one...If you look earlier in the post Randy comments on this very thing....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did....It had the same effect as the as the work that I did on the HI-736.....Meter reading decreasing as the Salinity Increased...The slope of the curve was almost Identical...I think given that I was using the same reagents for both tests I should expect the same results with regard to the effect....Correct? I prepared all of my standards at a salinity of 35ppt which is where I keep my system...I only tested the effect at one concentration level 1ppm...perhaps I should look at several levels...what do you think? Is there reason to suspect that at higher concentration levels the effect would be different? Since I ran all my standards in the 35ppm Salinity solution it was my thought that the salinity effect would be compensated for in the standard solution...or am I off track?..I considered incorporating a salinity correction component in the calculation but because my salinity is pretty constant decided it was not to...might have a second look at it later...Thanks for the question

rick

Yes, that the interference was the same makes sense. [emoji3]

How much one worries about the interference depends on how accurate one wants the reading. IMO, hardly anyone needs values closer than +/- 10%.

How much of a salinity change would give a 10% error, assuming everything else was perfect?

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back