Test results during copper treatment

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware that the Ammonia test will give false readings during copper treatment so I purchased the Seachem Ammonia badge for my QT, this always reads on the very low scale.

QT has been running for around 7 weeks in total, and reseeded 3 weeks ago with new foam and plastic bio balls from the DT. I believed the nitrogen cycle to be functioning.

Testing for nitrates, they are always high even with regular water changes.

So I asked what could be causing this issue on a Facebook group and upon testing for nitrites and finding them off the scale it was concluded this could be skewing results and perhaps overfeeding was the issue.

Got me thinking though... can the nitrite and nitrate test show a false reading in the presence of copper?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found certain test kits will be skewed depending on the type of medication that’s in the water column. 7 weeks running should be plenty of time for the type to cycle properly. Add some fish and even some more bio spira and you should be just fine.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found certain test kits will be skewed depending on the type of medication that’s in the water column. 7 weeks running should be plenty of time for the type to cycle properly. Add some fish and even some more bio spira and you should be just fine.
Thank you, that's good to know. I suppose what I should really do is add a drop of cupramine to the test water of my DT which is typically at 5 nitrates, just to confirm it's affects.

I currently have a silver spot and blue hippo tang in the QT, three weeks into treatment. Getting excited to add them to the DT soon!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back