Tested my water

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally decided to get a test kit for the “reef” previously I only tested nitrate nitrite and ammonia

today’s results show (using Red Sea kit)
Alkalinity 10.4
Magnesium 1480
Calcium 500

I know the calcium and alkalinity are abit high but my corals have looked the same for a year like this growing looking healthy etc.
if I was to lower the calcium and alkanlinity how do I do that.

also with the Red Sea kit not sure how accurate it is because when using the syringe totake out the reagent there’s always a large air space between the top of the water and the rubber marker. (Picture attached)

08975E09-6105-4366-B5AE-6AF57DAEE34C.jpeg

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, your alkalinity and calcium are fine but if you want to lower them, you can do water change with a salt that mixes with lower calcium and alkalinity or If your system is healthy, if you leave it alone, it will consume the alkalinity and calcium over time as well.

As for the syringe, the air bubble is normal. As long as you have the plunger completely pushed down before you syringe up any media, it will draw the correct amount as long as your plunger is at the correct marker of course.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say some lvls are slightly high but do they match what your salt is meant to be at?

Yeah the air bubble threw me too, it’s just the air in the tip, just make sure when you put it in the bottle that the fluid covers the seal around the tip, the air wrong alter the reading.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be using RS Reef Pro or instant ocean reef crystals as they both mix very high.

As suggested, you could switch to RS Blue Bucket or any number of lower ALK/Ca salts. Or, you could load up the tanks with a bunch of LPS and SPS corals that will consume the elements.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys currently I only have a few coral mostly softies, I’m using the ocean reef pro crystals I believe - currently I’ve just transferred all my coral to another tank as planning to go hypo in my DT will most likely add SPS to soak more of the elements up. Would you recommend doing less water changes as I do it every 2 weeks at the moment?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back