Testers and checkers

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Newbie to the reefing hobby here and I'm going to start cycling the tank next weekend. But to be honest im getting a little overwhelmed with all the testing parameter options. I already have the saltwater master kit and a refractometer, but what other testers should I have? Is a salinity pen checker worth the upgrade? Should I ditch the master kit? Do I need all the Hannah checkers?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api isn't great. But it can get you started.
Salifert, nyos, and red sea are all good manual test kits.

Hanna isn't necessary but does make checking parameters easy if you have a hard time distinguishing color changes. Imo the hanna calcium checker is too complicated. I'd stick with red sea or nyos for that.

You can upgrade to Hanna kits as budget allows, But they aren't a necessity.
Imo
Dkh 1st
Nitrate high range 2nd
Phosphate ulr 3rd
The rest imo aren't necessary but might be a nice to have

OP
OP
Dizzle26

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api isn't great. But it can get you started.
Salifert, nyos, and red sea are all good manual test kits.

Hanna isn't necessary but does make checking parameters easy if you have a hard time distinguishing color changes. Imo the hanna calcium checker is too complicated. I'd stick with red sea or nyos for that.

You can upgrade to Hanna kits as budget allows, But they aren't a necessity.
Imo
Dkh 1st
Nitrate high range 2nd
Phosphate ulr 3rd
The rest imo aren't necessary but might be a nice to have

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. What about the pen checkers like ph/tds or salinity? Are they worth it?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH pen is OK for a spot check, but a probe with a constant readout would be better(PH can change all day long).

A properly calibrated refractometer is a must. Any type of salinity "pen" would not be very accurate. The hanna one is OK if you get a decent one, but nothing will beat a properly calibrated refractometer for the hobby use.

TDS pen is only useful if your making your own water(You want to start with 0 TDS water before mixing salt in).

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Newbie to the reefing hobby here and I'm going to start cycling the tank next weekend. But to be honest im getting a little overwhelmed with all the testing parameter options. I already have the saltwater master kit and a refractometer, but what other testers should I have? Is a salinity pen checker worth the upgrade? Should I ditch the master kit? Do I need all the Hannah checkers?
Depends on what your keeping.
Until I could test all parameters with some accuracy on a regular basis, I was really not that successful.

For fish and softies, salinity, temp, nitrate, phosphate.
Add hard corals then add Alk, CA and MG.

Leathers, gorgonians I test for iodine.

I need these test to maintain stable water chemistry, speed the maturity of the the tank, feed the corals and micro-fauna and knowing what is being used up so it can be replaced.

OP
OP
Dizzle26

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH pen is OK for a spot check, but a probe with a constant readout would be better(PH can change all day long).

A properly calibrated refractometer is a must. Any type of salinity "pen" would not be very accurate. The hanna one is OK if you get a decent one, but nothing will beat a properly calibrated refractometer for the hobby use.

Ok. Are there any stand alone probes other than having to buy whole controller setup like the neptune?

I was pretty big into the homebrewing scene for a while so I have a few reliable refractometers.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Are there any stand alone probes other than having to buy whole controller setup like the neptune?

I was pretty big into the homebrewing scene for a while so I have a few reliable refractometers.
Becarful, BRIX refractometers are not the same as salinity refractometers. They are close, and can be used in a pinch, but I would buy a salinity refractometer with ATC.

Plenty oh stand alone PH probes. Pinpoint is a decent brand.

OP
OP
Dizzle26

Dizzle26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becarful, BRIX refractometers are not the same as salinity refractometers. They are close, and can be used in a pinch, but I would buy a salinity refractometer with ATC.

I have both BRIX and SG refractometers. As well as one that is a dual readout. And I also have a handful of hydrometers as well.

Back