Testing 2-Part Potency

swiftsparks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I may have added too many scoops of BRS calcium chloride to the calcium portion of my 2part dosing. The one gallon of calcium supplement is cloudier than usual and has some calcium chloride that won't dissolve.

Is there a way to test the Calcium Chloride/RODI mix for potency? Can I dose a certain amount to one gallon of RODI and test for calcium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I may have added too many scoops of BRS calcium chloride to the calcium portion of my 2part dosing. The one gallon of calcium supplement is cloudier than usual and has some calcium chloride that won't dissolve.

Is there a way to test the Calcium Chloride/RODI mix for potency? Can I dose a certain amount to one gallon of RODI and test for calcium?
Yes.

The concentration should be about 37,000 ppm if this is my DIY recipe #1 (the BRS "soda ash" recipe).

If you put 1 mL in 99 mL of RO/DI, the concentration should be about 370 ppm.

OP
OP
S

swiftsparks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley AWESOME! The answer from the man himself! I would still be mixing it up according to your recipe if I didn't get tired of cooking baking soda! Thank you SO much for your contribution to the hobby as a whole and to my personal reef journey.
LIVING LEGEND!

another question or two:

Is there is a reason to check 1ml and 99ml and not 10ml and 990ml? Just asking out of curiosity.
Should my BRS Calcium Chloride have any precipitate at all? (it has quite a bit)

Thanks again!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley AWESOME! The answer from the man himself! I would still be mixing it up according to your recipe if I didn't get tired of cooking baking soda! Thank you SO much for your contribution to the hobby as a whole and to my personal reef journey.
LIVING LEGEND!

another question or two:

Is there is a reason to check 1ml and 99ml and not 10ml and 990ml? Just asking out of curiosity.
Should my BRS Calcium Chloride have any precipitate at all? (it has quite a bit)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words!

You can mix at that ratio to any scale that works for you. 10 mL per total 1 L is fine.

Shouldn't be a lot of precipitate, but there can be some. A little fluffy solid can look like a lot.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back