Testing after water change?

Timandkatereef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2024
Messages
33
Reaction score
8
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I was wondering do you test for the Alk,Mag, Calcium after completing a water change? If so/not, why?

How long do you wait to test/dose after a water change?
 
It does not matter as long as you understand if the water change might be large enough to raise or lower what you are measuring. :)
 
If the tank is stable then I make sure to match alkalinity of the new water to the existing tank levels.

If I am trying to raise tank levels then I will add new water with elevated parameters to bump the tank levels in the right direction.

I measure soon after any bump to determine where the tank landed and then retest (tomorrow, or next week, or next month depending on how stable the tank is performing and how often I am testing. I don’t have an apex running, so I test accordingly. A stable system shouldn’t be drifting significantly once it is established.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new