testing during the day vs night?

https://www.triton.de/en/

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
So I'm getting ~0 nitrates with an API test. I have some diatoms (nothing too crazy), and small bushels of red graciliaria in a 10 gallon. I was wondering since diatoms consume nitrates and they are active only when the light is on... would it make sense to test at night to get a more accurate nitrate reading? or does it not make a difference?

Avast
OP
jarviz

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
does thsi mean my diatoms are holding in my nitrates 24/7? so i'm not really at 0 nitrates... i was considering dosing or feeding more but my phosphates are a little high already.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
So I'm getting ~0 nitrates with an API test. I have some diatoms (nothing too crazy), and small bushels of red graciliaria in a 10 gallon. I was wondering since diatoms consume nitrates and they are active only when the light is on... would it make sense to test at night to get a more accurate nitrate reading? or does it not make a difference?

Most likely silicates that need to be burned off / fueling the diatoms

If it's a fairly new setup, then it's a normal stage.

Need to use pure RO/DI water for mixing new salt and for top-off water.

When you test cal, alk, and mag, always test those parameters at the same time, each day.

FWIW:
Test your nitrates and phosphates with the Saliert test kits.

Last edited:
Budmans
https://www.triton.de/en/

Do you use any type of LIQUID additives, supplements, foods, medicine etc. for you reef aquarium?

• Yes LIQUID

Votes: 357 88.4%
  • NO

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • Yes but not a LIQUID

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors