Testing new Orphek OR90: High quality strip lights!

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks PJR. these really looked promising and your review will help me with my final decision.

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The actinics were actually their "Reef Violet" spectrum... more 410 nm and 430 nm spectrum LEDs. Hence, the color ....

There is a "Reef Sky Blue" which is a combo of 460 nm and 490 nm LEDs.... i need to try them.

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with the Ophek Sales rep to order two Reef Violet. He warned me those were very purple and suggested the Blue Sky. After looking at the LED arrangement I decided the Blue Sky did not have many LEDs in the actinic range. Sales Rep suggested Orphek could modify the Reef Violet to make them less purple and still stay in the actinic zone.

Reef Violet has: 18 - 410nm and 6 - 430nm
Custom will have: 9 - 410nm and 15 430nm

The Orphek OR series is made when ordered, so no additional charge for the custom configuration.

Order placed.

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with the Ophek Sales rep to order two Reef Violet. He warned me those were very purple and suggested the Blue Sky. After looking at the LED arrangement I decided the Blue Sky did not have many LEDs in the actinic range. Sales Rep suggested Orphek could modify the Reef Violet to make them less purple and still stay in the actinic zone.

The Orphek OR series is made when ordered, so no additional charge for the custom configuration.

Order placed.
VERY interesting! standing by!

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following along with this thread, as I'm trying to find the right light for my 75 gallon tank! I currently have t5s on and I only have about 11 palys and zoas, a duncan, one styolophora, mushrooms, GSP, and a RBT! I'm looking to possibly switch to LEDS and spoke to an orphek rep today about the OR 120 slimline reef version and told me that daylight is almost the same spectrum as the v4 and same color! I kinda wanted a light that not only would supply all the growth and color the corals I have needs but wanted to have the sunrise/sunset affect with me being able to shutoff the daylights so its just the blues, at night! But this one only has an on/off switch! I really wanted to purchase something so I don't have to supplement any other lights and on a budget! Any suggestions on whether another light would be good for growth and color, or is this one a good one to go with? Thanks and love the tank PJR! Just stunning!
IMG_3684.JPG

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words! Everything continues to go well in the lighting department. In fact, I should post a new picture of the tank. I've had to do a lot of cutting and rearranging of lately.

Have you considered one of the daylight strips and then also adding their actinic as well? It will really help with day to night transitions… and give you a wider spread with a lot more par.

By the way, with the strips, it's really good to angle them so you help eliminate any dead spots due the shading. I've found that a key to using strip lights in general.

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words! Everything continues to go well in the lighting department. In fact, I should post a new picture of the tank. I've had to do a lot of cutting and rearranging of lately.

Have you considered one of the daylight strips and then also adding their actinic as well? It will really help with day to night transitions… and give you a wider spread with a lot more par.

By the way, with the strips, it's really good to angle them so you help eliminate any dead spots due the shading. I've found that a key to using strip lights in general.

I would love to get both but just on a budget and can't afford two, especially since I've got to order a couple more test kits and better powerheads and a wavemaker and a return sump lol, I've got to keep it kinda low, but man I would love to have the big Atlantic V4! Super cool light! I was looking at the compact atlantic light! Covers a wide range, just curious how much it is!
Any suggestions on a good light that would grow and spread and keep my corals happy?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why these strip lights aren't on Orphek's website yet. I suppose they are still in a test phase.

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drama. The best laid plans.... the Sunbrite actinic is starting to fail. It IS 6.5 years old, from a company that is out of business, so really, what did I expect, especially since the other two units which were newer had already failed, but dang it, I'm still irritated. It will not turn on without several whacks to the unit at a spot exactly two inches from the right end of the tube. Really. So, if I am not home, no light. All LEDs are good, and still ton of PAR, which is just more insult to injury.

So, what to do? Do I replace it with the Reef Blue OR 90 model? Or, do I go all out and get the Atlantik v4 Compact times 3 as a full new system?

Until I decide, I'm still whacking the light tube.

I wonder why these strip lights aren't on Orphek's website yet. I suppose they are still in a test phase.

As of this week, they are on the Orphek web site. They just officially launched the product.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drama. The best laid plans.... the Sunbrite actinic is starting to fail. It IS 6.5 years old, from a company that is out of business, so really, what did I expect, especially since the other two units which were newer had already failed, but dang it, I'm still irritated. It will not turn on without several whacks to the unit at a spot exactly two inches from the right end of the tube. Really. So, if I am not home, no light. All LEDs are good, and still ton of PAR, which is just more insult to injury.

So, what to do? Do I replace it with the Reef Blue OR 90 model? Or, do I go all out and get the Atlantik v4 Compact times 3 as a full new system?

Until I decide, I'm still whacking the light tube.

As of this week, they are on the Orphek web site. They just officially launched the product.

Thought I recognized that car! Sold you the RR The vinh frag at Ann arbor. Hope it's doing well as I may need to buy a frag back from you eventually after a bit of a system crash

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Doing well so far. Sorry to hear about the crash.... you're welcome to it back and some other stuff too. PM me....

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Doing well so far. Sorry to hear about the crash.... you're welcome to it back and some other stuff too. PM me....

I've got some nice stuff that made it through the mess. I'll be driving through your neck of the woods in september. I'm sure we can do some trading!

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Order placed.

elFloyd: How did this work out for you?

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. I was going to see if I can get a SkyBlue, but replace the 490nm with the 430 from the Reef Violet.... so it will be a combo of 460 nm and 430nm....

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. I was going to see if I can get a SkyBlue, but replace the 490nm with the 430 from the Reef Violet.... so it will be a combo of 460 nm and 430nm....

I have the v4 and the sky blue and violet channels mixed is a really nice color. A lot different than the royal blue a lot of led's have

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see pics of that! I'm considering a ReefViolet to supplement my T5's, but I'm worried it might be too purple. Reading on here that custom is an option might be the answer.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the v4 colors. The pics are a little off but the violet is defiantly purple

Violet
2bc4bb337f81c52991d87f065d3f4864.jpg

Sky blue
1b24dc11f4a49666085fd263054fe1b7.jpg

Violet and sky blue
48715d8062620753fac05a85f1e8a9cc.jpg

All channels equal
03ea6e6b384666f3faa9380fbd031cd5.jpg

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
elFloyd: How did this work out for you?

I am happy! Ended up going with a Sun Pacific T5 fixture. Using two OR90s as supplemental LEDs along the front of the tank slightly angled toward the back. Adds a lot of pop and gets rid of a lot of shadowing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back