Testing new Orphek OR90: High quality strip lights!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it could be integrated with the gateway for control. I considered the slimlines as well but lack of control didn't work for me so I went with the V4

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ibacha, love all the pics! And yes, your example of the purple from the UV parallels mine when I used the Reef Violet strip on my tank.... purple was overly dominant.

elFloyd, glad to hear the strip worked well; I take it that you did the 430/460 combo?

I ordered the Sky Blue today, but did a custom mix; will be replacing the 490 nm with the 430 nm from the Reef Violet. (so, a 2:1 ratio of 460 to 430 ). Thx for the suggestion.

I think the use of LED strips, vs a "puck" design, has helped eliminate shading and other issues commonly seen with LEDs. I have never felt the need to add T5 bulbs to help shading... or growth. I wish i could say that I thought of this benefit in advance as part of my design efforts, but, in reality, pretty much fell into this learning.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ibacha, love all the pics! And yes, your example of the purple from the UV parallels mine when I used the Reef Violet strip on my tank.... purple was overly dominant.

elFloyd, glad to hear the strip worked well; I take it that you did the 430/460 combo?

I ordered the Sky Blue today, but did a custom mix; will be replacing the 490 nm with the 430 nm from the Reef Violet. (so, a 2:1 ratio of 460 to 430 ). Thx for the suggestion.

I think the use of LED strips, vs a "puck" design, has helped eliminate shading and other issues commonly seen with LEDs. I have never felt the need to add T5 bulbs to help shading... or growth. I wish i could say that I thought of this benefit in advance as part of my design efforts, but, in reality, pretty much fell into this learning.

I went with the v4 for that exact reason, the point light sources of kessils and radions just don't offer the even coverage I was looking for. I almost bought a 4 bulb t5 fixture but then the atlantik was offered with 10x pts at BRS and I couldn't say no.

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The custom blend OR90 (430nm/460nm) have been running for a few weeks now. And they are awesome.

Mounted side-by-side near the front of
the 6 foot tank, angled slightly back to prevent shading, the look is very nice. All corals seem quite happy.

The rest of the lighting is a pair OR 90 Reef Daylight (which is more of a 18k color) mounted side-by-side
over the center, and finally the legacy BML 6 footer (12K blend) near the back and angled slightly forward.

The colors blend together quite well. I think the tank could be just a touch less blue, but really, that's kinda getting a little OCD at this point. BTW-- I tried an experiment with pulling out the BML and putting in another set of OR90 Reef Daylights, but it was way too blue with the other 4 strips. The whiter 12k perfects the balance.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I read your discussion with interest. I'm also interested in the ophek or bars. my tank measures 120x60x60 (cm) and is illuminated by two blue-ray gnc (italian led light).
https://www.gncitalia.it/bluray-english

I would like to add a led bar to increase the fluorescence in the reef tank and make the light more pop. according to you which model should I buy Sky blue or violet and what length? or customize a bar by inserting blue and actinic LEDs? furthermore, at what height do they mount the water from the surface so as not to damage sps corals?
This is my reef
b653bf1779cf89edbc829327a603b21f.jpg

OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well length is easy! You would get the OR 120 bar.... which is the exact width of your tank.

Mine are mounted 10 cm above the water surface... no burning.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What height above the water did you like best is the OR bar lights?

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, I had been following a couple others on these that aren't as old. PJR are yours 90 degree or 120 degree lenses? I saw you mention 120 degree early on which surprised me. Orphek told me the 120 degree is for freshwater planted and suggested 90 degree.
I just ordered a 120cm Sky Blue but replaced 10 of the most used color with 10 of their 12k wanting a little less blue than the Sky Blue pics. Just got a message yesterday that it's in route! I have a RB Phonton V2 50 as my main light and have too much shading. Trying this one, then likely order 2 more (one back and two front angled) if they work well.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well length is easy! You would get the OR 120 bar.... which is the exact width of your tank.

Mine are mounted 10 cm above the water surface... no burning.

ok but in your opinion what color should I take? or do I have to customize a bar? taking the 90 cm one I can still cover the tank since the lenses are at 120 degrees?

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone measured par on each of the color options. I have the uv/actinic strip but plan to pick up 2 more but have not seen any par numbers from each light offered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pjr

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all! It's been a while since I have given you an update… bottom line the results continue to be great, growth has been awesome, and I've had an opportunity to use some of the new orphek lights in the OR series.

If you recall, the center of my tank had a pair of the reef daylight strips, side by side, making a 6' bar from left to right. Those have been upgraded to a slightly newer version. The color spectrum is a little bit different, in there is a tad more Orange to the light. It gives the appearance of more brightness, which blends pretty well with the actinic strips. In the front I still have the custom blend actinics, again forming a 6' strip.

However in the back row, I now have one of the new OR2 series lights! It's just a 4' strip, which is fine, because I really didn't need the light all the way to the ends lighting my corner overflows. It is an actinic, but it's a very unique blend with 410, 430, 450, 490, and 515 NM LEDs. I really like the color combination!
2048ac74f5a427c95205e8e210b903cd.jpg
f0cd511c762bc190de9dad48d1b2eafc.jpg
98e10ad2d99b0966dac25db604fe32f4.jpg
dd1aa794026ae2a81e3c01bf6ed1d27b.jpg
0a1fd3fbd018300de5b7ef0fa6fedafe.jpg
5e49105a6828c9cabbf4bee6df7178cf.jpg

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.... still love the light output... but... After 11 months one OR90 went dark. Orphek replaced it under warranty. Three months later the second unit went dark: past the 12 month warranty period.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back