Testing phosphates in dry rock

Tflow256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got about 60lbs of dry rock soaking in ro/di water to see if it's leaching any phosphates. My question is, since it's in ro/di and not saltwater should I use a freshwater phosphate test kit or saltwater?? Freshwater kit shows 0 but saltwater kit shows .25. They both use the same reagents but have different color charts. Thanks in advance!!

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my phosphate kit measures both salt and fresh, so I would err on side of caution and believe the .25 number personally

OP
OP
Tflow256

Tflow256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test kit im using does both as well, the only difference is the color chart. When I test just RO/DI it does the same, shows 0 on fresh chart and .25 on salt chart. Trying to find someone with a different test kit to compare to.

Nemo's Janitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been directed to believe that it is not a good idea to try and test parameters of RO water with our hobbyists test kits.. Apparently it is due to the ionic imbalance in RO water. Is this a fact?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but if dry rock was leaching phosphates into your tank, after being in it for a few months, would you have a high phosphate reading?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock and phosphate is not a one way path (on or off).

Phosphate reversibly bonds to the calcium carbonate surface, and more binds at higher phosphate concentrations.

So if you soak it in high phosphate water, then reduce the phosphate in the water, it will come off.

So phosphate only really comes off if the concentration in the water is lower than what would be in equilibrium with the amount on the rock.

When phosphate is rising in the water, it can then be going onto the rock.

If you keep it in the same concentration for an extended period, it likely has reached a new equilibrium. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back