Testing the Big 3 Parameters

Dr0pl3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually done the same test with hanna and aquaforest on alkalinity. But i got different results than you. I got at 0.3 differense between them. Both on calibration fluid and saltwater. In calibration fluid my numbers where: Test fluid is 8.2 dkh if i remember correct? Aquaforest measured 8.4 dkh (both of us did), Hanna checker measured 8.1 dkh. I believe you did something wrong with hanna test. You should always wipe of finger prints before inserting into tester, and slowly stir the reagent for 2 min instead of shaking it. I also depends on what hanna model you have. They are both pretty accurate, with a 0.1 and 0.2 from actual target, but when you compare them you get a bigger gap of 0.3

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually done the same test with hanna and aquaforest on alkalinity. But i got different results than you. I got at 0.3 differense between them. Both on calibration fluid and saltwater. In calibration fluid my numbers where: Test fluid is 8.2 dkh if i remember correct? Aquaforest measured 8.4 dkh (both of us did), Hanna checker measured 8.1 dkh. I believe you did something wrong with hanna test. You should always wipe of finger prints before inserting into tester, and slowly stir the reagent for 2 min instead of shaking it. I also depends on what hanna model you have. They are both pretty accurate, with a 0.1 and 0.2 from actual target, but when you compare them you get a bigger gap of 0.3

Thank you for your response. As I stated in the beginning there is human error involved some times. After reviewing the Hanna Ca checker video link I followed Hanna instruction per the video vigorously shaking the cuvette for 15 second not two minutes. The only Hanna test that I have is the ultra low phosphorus test that is stirred for two minutes

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason to have more than one test kit on hand. I tested my alk, and after bumping up my alk the last two weeks. My number is still not rising and I was suspicious and I tested twice to make sure.
Apex testing number 11-12-17.PNG

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Hanna Calcium checker. I think it was mentioned on the first post that Red Sea reports lower numbers than the rest. It's true with me.

APEX_05.jpg

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Hanna Calcium checker. I think it was mentioned on the first post that Red Sea reports lower numbers than the rest. It's true with me.

APEX_05.jpg
pretty consistent with my results

Reeferdave1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great article and links,

I love that you are using a magnetic stir plate, I just dug one out of my storage and if I don't switch to a Hanna checker I was actually thinking of setting up a burette station. I worked in environmental chemistry for years, old habits die hard but they work!

Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great article and links,

I love that you are using a magnetic stir plate, I just dug one out of my storage and if I don't switch to a Hanna checker I was actually thinking of setting up a burette station. I worked in environmental chemistry for years, old habits die hard but they work!

Thanks again

You might be interested in a DIY alk test with a commercial acid standard if you have a burette set up:

A DIY Alkalinity Test: By Randy Holmes-Farley - REEFEDITION
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/a-diy-alkalinity-test-by-randy-holmes-farley

Reeferdave1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I dog out my burettes and stands I'll give it a try.
I see you are from Arlington ever go to "Love the Reef" in Wilmington?

No, I haven't been there. :)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ELOSAmerica Thank you for letting me try the nitrate test kits from Orlando Reef a Palooza.

I am really liking these test kits, simple and easy. :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker I pull my water sample from a beaker and using a red sea 10my syringe it fills the cuvette above the 10ml water line. So I ran my alk twice the results were .1 point, I know its shaving hairs but I figured the Cuvetts would be spot on. I have yet to use my calcium due to the Di required...can I use distilled water from the grocery store?
FYI...I have been cleaning everthing in tap water and I now see why you are tossing pipettes

Hanna Says
Never use tap water to clean your cuvettes. This is especially important for the HI758U Marine Calcium Checker as calcium is commonly present in tap water and residual amounts present in the cuvette will elevate results produced by the Checker. Our HI98703-50 Cuvette Cleaning Solution ensures the glass cuvette used for colorimetric measurements remains clean and free from imperfections.
Calcium Checker Troubleshooting Tips
Never rinse your cuvettes with tap water or saltwater
  1. Use pure vapor distilled water from your local pharmacy at C1 phase. RODI water from home filtration units may not be suitable for this test as calcium can easily permeate through your filter membranes.
  2. Clean your cuvettes with distilled or deionized water absent of Calcium that is going to be used for C1 phase dilution.
  3. Measure out 9 ml of distilled or deionized water for C1 phase
  4. Make sure no excess aquarium sample saltwater is on the tip of the pipette. Only administer the saltwater that is sucked into the pipette tip.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker I pull my water sample from a beaker and using a red sea 10my syringe it fills the cuvette above the 10ml water line. So I ran my alk twice the results were .1 point, I know its shaving hairs but I figured the Cuvetts would be spot on. I have yet to use my calcium due to the Di required...can I use distilled water from the grocery store?
FYI...I have been cleaning everthing in tap water and I now see why you are tossing pipettes

Hanna Says
Never use tap water to clean your cuvettes. This is especially important for the HI758U Marine Calcium Checker as calcium is commonly present in tap water and residual amounts present in the cuvette will elevate results produced by the Checker. Our HI98703-50 Cuvette Cleaning Solution ensures the glass cuvette used for colorimetric measurements remains clean and free from imperfections.
Calcium Checker Troubleshooting Tips
Never rinse your cuvettes with tap water or saltwater
  1. Use pure vapor distilled water from your local pharmacy at C1 phase. RODI water from home filtration units may not be suitable for this test as calcium can easily permeate through your filter membranes.
  2. Clean your cuvettes with distilled or deionized water absent of Calcium that is going to be used for C1 phase dilution.
  3. Measure out 9 ml of distilled or deionized water for C1 phase
  4. Make sure no excess aquarium sample saltwater is on the tip of the pipette. Only administer the saltwater that is sucked into the pipette tip.

Thank you @siggy for posting this, I was just repled to @Fudsey in my build thread about testing.

What I have been doing is running my cuvettes in the dishwasher with the drying cycle to kind of sterilize the cuvettes, then rinsing the cuvettes with RO/DI before testing. To answer your question, yes distilled water from the store should be fine. The store would not be able to label the water distilled useless the water meet certain standards by the FDA.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back