Tetrasoma Gibbosus - the Hovercraft cowfish.

  • Thread starter Thread starter killyfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

killyfish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
20
Location
Gloucestershire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago, I kept a large specimen of this fish in my fish only tank and it thrived for several years with no issues (apart from getting a bit fed up with the cleaner wrasses' attentions!), and yet today I see dire warnings that they will poison your whole tank at the merest provocation. When my fish died, he still didn't exude any toxins into the tank as far as I know and I just removed his body from the tank and gave him a decent burial! The same can also be said about boxfishes, such as Ostracion cubicus - anyone here have any experience of this please?
 
I'd love to read about people's experiences with these!
 
I have had a spotted cow fish before, when it died it didn't wipe out the tank. It had a ton of personality and got along great with the orbic batfish and everything else in the tank
 
Cubicus on the want list, but have always been wary of the whole toxin warning. Glad to read stories where folks have been successful. Just wish we had more details from those who have experienced some toxin event to learn from for other to avoid.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new