!!!TGC INNER CORE!!! BOTH WAYS it's a new thing I'm doing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sometimes I just sit on these things way too long. I'll be the first to admit that taking pics has been my biggest procrastination since getting settled in the new shop. I really can't explain why. Other than it's a process. I am not hovering over my raceways with an iPhone, an orange filter and a porthole. No. I have a separate tank set up just for shooting coral that's lit perfectly. While this provides the best environment to accurately portray the coral, it is ultimately a really tedious process. And one I am always trying to improve on as well. So I just keep putting it off till I have a decent block of time to really do it. Which is not often, unfortunately.

Anyway, where am I going with this? It hit me a few weeks ago (last one to the party perhaps) that people don't really use white light over there aquariums anymore. And I totally understand that. I am with you all 100%. Short of a few "hot" hours mid-day, my own display is awesomely blue the majority of the cycle. Why? It's a no brainer. The coral simply looks better. It's super simple. The same reason the 20k bulb eclipsed the 10k. This is really nothing new. Ok, fair enough blues rules. But, I was asking myself, "Why then, am I shooting coral under whites ?" Even under-representing them in some cases by comparison? Was I just clinging to some altruistic vision of how coral should be represented to the masses? In many ways yes. I think I was/am. Faithful coral photography has been one of my highest concerns and in many ways the very backbone of my entire enterprise. I have done the best I could to prevent people from having that overwhelming feeling of blighted hope when they receive a coral that looks nothing like the pic they were persuaded by to purchase.

And again, where does that leave us? Here it is. “I’m shooting under heavy blues now.” There I said it. As many of my followers on instagram have learned already, I am now offering shots of coral represented just the way they look while radiating color under the haze of heavy Blue Led. I just think it’s time.

So, as perhaps one of the best examples I have of this dichotomy, and my official entrance to the "blue party" I give you the Two Guys Inner Core. Shot under heavy blue and then “daylight”. Not exaggerated at all, and what I mean exactly by that is this. What you see on the left, is what you will see when this coral is in your tank at the end of the day when your lights are ramping way down and the blues are in charge. Still running Halides? Or just don't like the looks of deep blue? Well, then the right pic is for you. But with the majority of reefers running blue to heavy blue over their tanks, I couldn't come up with a single reason not to start shooting this way.

Screenshot 2019-10-09 10.37.59.png

Screenshot 2019-10-09 10.37.26.png

Do I really feel like I need to explain myself on this one. Absolutely! Because I’ll confess it still feels weird. I'm the guy that has been shooting faithful “white” pics since the beginning and this is a huge deviation from my usual fare. And as long as I’m being honest, I do not like the look of that weird dead-looking “gray rock” at all. Lol. But anyway, I welcome any and all feedback on this new approach. Feel free to let me have it if you think I’ve sunk a little here. In a lot of ways, I'm just trying to keep up here.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going forward, are you saying that you’re only going to take blue pics or are you saying that you’ll take both “daylight” and blue pics for each coral? From a business standpoint, maybe it would be a good idea to take photos under both lighting so you can appeal to both crowds?

If you’re only going to take photos under blue lighting going forward, that makes me really sad. But I understand why. I’m in the minority because I keep my tank under a Radium halide supplemented by T5’s, and I never by from vendors that show heavy blue pics unless I can search here on R2R for someone that has posted a “daylight” photo of the same coral. Then, if I like the daylight photo, I’ll buy through the vendor.

The lighting you used and the photos you took are one of the things I liked most about Battlecorals. I understand why you want to change, and I know you’re not trying to misrepresent how the coral looks.. just trying to show how it would look in most people’s blue tanks nowadays... but PLEASE keep the daylight photos too. Seriously, please?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Going forward, are you saying that you’re only going to take blue pics or are you saying that you’ll take both “daylight” and blue pics for each coral? From a business standpoint, maybe it would be a good idea to take photos under both lighting so you can appeal to both crowds?

If you’re only going to take photos under blue lighting going forward, that makes me really sad. But I understand why. I’m in the minority because I keep my tank under a Radium halide supplemented by T5’s, and I never by from vendors that show heavy blue pics unless I can search here on R2R for someone that has posted a “daylight” photo of the same coral. Then, if I like the daylight photo, I’ll buy through the vendor.

The lighting you used and the photos you took are one of the things I liked most about Battlecorals. I understand why you want to change, and I know you’re not trying to misrepresent how the coral looks.. just trying to show how it would look in most people’s blue tanks nowadays... but PLEASE keep the daylight photos too. Seriously, please?

Hi, there thanks a lot for the feedback! Definitely not going with blue pics only. I couldn't do it. And I have no plans to re-shoot my catalog under blues either. But going forward as you said, I just need to show that side of the corals potential at least if you're following me.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, there thanks a lot for the feedback! Definitely not going with blue pics only. I couldn't do it. And I have no plans to re-shoot my catalog under blues either. But going forward as you said, I just need to show that side of the corals potential at least if you're following me.

Yes!!! Understood about what you’re saying about doing both photos. And I think that’s a smart thing to do. I was afraid that you were going entirely away from the daylight photos lol.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE that you will be shooting under both colors! Personally not a fan of buying corals that are shot under heavy blues (when its the only pictoral representation). Its great to see what is true to the eye and then what the blues show. Top notch, just another reason why Battlecorals stays on the top of my list to buy from when i get home.

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , I thought I lost you there for a minute . I have got to be honest my heart sank a little when I Read
“I’m shooting under heavy blues now”. for I am not of fan of these overly blue and very saturated photos and to be quite blunt will not purchase from the vendors that do so.

I know I might be the minority but I find the “Daylight” photo such as the one you posted above much more appealing and to take it one step further, if I were browsing the site and the heavy blue was the only photo I wouldn’t give it a second look and that would be a shame because it is an awesome piece to me without the blue, but then again this is just my opinion.

don’t get me wrong I like a little pop,but not to excessive. and I was around for the black light craze wasn’t a fan of that either..lol

Adam, one of the reasons you’ve become one of my favorite vendor is your honesty in the way you conducted Business. Thanks for your willingness to keep the daylight pictures as well

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer to look at my tank under blues most of the time. So, when I buy corals I want to see what they will look like under blue. I don't necessarily care what they look like under whites, but it's nice to see both.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok , I thought I lost you there for a minute . I have got to be honest my heart sank a little when I Read
“I’m shooting under heavy blues now”. for I am not of fan of these overly blue and very saturated photos and to be quite blunt will not purchase from the vendors that do so.

I know I might be the minority but I find the “Daylight” photo such as the one you posted above much more appealing and to take it one step further, if I were browsing the site and the heavy blue was the only photo I wouldn’t give it a second look and that would be a shame because it is an awesome piece to me without the blue, but then again this is just my opinion.

don’t get me wrong I like a little pop,but not to excessive. and I was around for the black light craze wasn’t a fan of that either..lol

Adam, one of the reasons you’ve become one of my favorite vendor is your honesty in the way you conducted Business. Thanks for your willingness to keep the daylight pictures as well

I really appreciate the post. Thank you Karl!

steve bergmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the pic under the whites better. It would be cool to see both ways on each coral though. I get it that it is a lot of work.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to be a fan of white light, so if you are doing both I am definitely a fan. One of the the things I love about your site is that I get a great idea of what the coral will look like in my tank.
Thanks for the explanation so we don't get worried that you were taken by a body snatcher o_O

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like blue lights in my tank sometimes but I will not buy a coral if pic is from heavy blue light only. I do not keep my tank like that most often so the heavy blue light look is irrelevant to me. Plus if it looks good in a whiter light it will look good in blue. Cant say that the other way around.

Shaun Sullivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing what the corals will look like under both types of lighting. I run a T5 and LED hybrid lighting system and depending on the time of day get to see the corals looking very different in my tank. Regardless of the types of pictures you use, you will remain one of my top choices if I am looking for coral!

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both is the way to go. I always appreciated your photos. Because “oh that’s what it really looks like”. Plus “mine looks just like that”. I have yet to buy a coral that looks the same under my blues as the over saturated pics I see in all of these live sales. I run fast from these. Highly inaccurate. I try to balance my corals. Some look great under blue, others look great under daylight. Bonus is when they look good under both which is rare.

Back