Thalassoma Wrasse compatibility

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Discovered this kind of wrasse recently! Beautiful and aggressive, I do have a more aggressive tank going in my bigger one. Stocking around the powder blue as far as aggression. Been talking with @Slocke in another thread about wrasses for a more aggressive/predator tank and discovered the cortez wrasse. Upon looking up the scientific names, these wrasse are freaking beautiful! So question is I want to add 2 wrasse to this tank. Was looking at a cortez and a red coris. I was wondering if that combo works or can two of these Thalassoma wrasses go together? Seen some conflicting info given their aggressive state, so asking the #wrassenerds for some opinions, suggestions ect! Open to suggestions for other wrasse that are compatible if you have other suggestions? Just need them to be more aggressive and I want to add two wrasses total to the tank!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of this species of wrasse requires a big tank like 300g unless you are planning with juvi.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of this species of wrasse requires a big tank like 300g unless you are planning with juvi.
Gotcha, so would one of those be okay with the red coris wrasse or is that an issue waiting to happen?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never put a pair of any wrasse. That’s wrasse 101 lol.
A tuskfish, coris, dragon or seagrass, or beefy halichoeres are my recommendations. Not sure I ever suggested a tuskfish? It is a wrasse.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, so would one of those be okay with the red coris wrasse or is that an issue waiting to happen?
How big is ur tank? If I recall correctly it’s a 125 and if so then only one of these fish-only wrasses would barely fit.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Never put a pair of any wrasse. That’s wrasse 101 lol.
A tuskfish, coris, dragon or seagrass, or beefy halichoeres are my recommendations. Not sure I ever suggested a tuskfish? It is a wrasse.
Does that just make them too aggressive? I was always thinking of adding a male and female McCosker Flasher Wrasse to see the “flashing” displays.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that just make them too aggressive? I was always thinking of adding a male and female McCosker Flasher Wrasse to see the “flashing” displays.
All female wrasse go male and two males will fight usually to the death. Get two different species of flashers or a combo of fairies and flashers. They will flash each other and you get to see the colors of different wrasse.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How big is ur tank? If I recall correctly it’s a 125 and if so then only one of these fish-only wrasses would barely fit.
And you also are asking, on another thread, about adding ruby mandarins?
I would not add another wrasse to your system.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You realize a cortez is a medium wrasse right? Unlikely to reach 6”. Wrasse are awesome because they are not territorial to other (different species) of wrasse so I really don’t see your point?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Would you have another suggestion for one that would go in the tank??

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you also are asking, on another thread, about adding ruby mandarins?
I would not add another wrasse to your system.
I dont have any wrasse in this tank. Only wrasse I have is a mel in my other tank

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You realize a cortez is a medium wrasse right? Unlikely to reach 6”. Wrasse are awesome because they are not territorial to other (different species) of wrasse so I really don’t see your point?
Wait so cortez is okay just not with a red coris if I understood?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so cortez is okay just not with a red coris if I understood?
I see no issue between the two. Very different species. Mine don’t interact at all so I’d only worry about minimum tank size individually. A six foot tank is great for wrasse.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think she already had a red coris wrasse that can get pretty big. Cortez is listed as aggressive. I don’t think this is a recipe of high success in what i believe is a 125g

No dont have a red coris, never have but have asked questions about them, current stock in the 125 are clowns, powder blue tang, purple tang, yellow tang, regal angel and a foxface

Edit only wrasse I have is a mel in my smaller tank. Posted about him cause he hate a dang fireworm and got stung

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking questions due to how the tusk issue turned out cause I got some mis information regarding those and wont put another fish that really was timid fish in the tank and asking people on the form cause Im nervous about getting some more mis info from various articles

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dont have a red coris, never have but have asked questions about them, current stock in the 125 are clowns, powder blue tang, purple tang, yellow tang, regal angel and a foxface

Edit only wrasse I have is a mel in my smaller tank. Posted about him cause he hate a dang fireworm and got stung
your PBT didnt accept the tusk last time. What are the chances that he will accept another fish only wrasse?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think she already has a red coris wrasse that can get pretty big. Cortez is listed as aggressive. I don’t think this is a recipe of high success in what i believe is a 125g

I’d say it’s on par with the similar sized Thalassoma species like the bluehead and five stripe in the semi-aggressive category. Certainly not a peaceful category fish and feisty for its size but so far my experience is Thalassoma are only mean to significantly smaller fish. The one Cortez I’ve known at my LFS was never an issue but that was only one.
I think a predatory wrasse tank is very possible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back