Thalassoma Wrasse compatibility

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking questions due to how the tusk issue turned out cause I got some mis information regarding those and wont put another fish that really was timid fish in the tank and asking people on the form cause Im nervous about getting some more mis info from various articles
Yeah tusks can be timid. Sorry. I do suggest a box but if you really want a wrasse that handles aggression well you can’t do better than a Thalassoma. They are super tough. My red coris can be timid but not my Thalassoma. I really think the Cortez would be a good bet.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your PBT didnt accept the tusk last time. What are the chances that he will accept another fish only wrasse?
Correct, thats why Im asking for opinions if theres a wrasse that could work, if not no worries at all, would rather ask for advice than see that happen again! In no rush to shove a bunch of fish in or anything, more just doing my research which Ive found is best to just ask on here for opinions from more experienced reefers like you and a bunch of others!

On a side note my PBT accepted the regal with no issues as well as the purple tang I added after her. Hard to predict what she will have an issue with being introduced. She doesnt bully anyone currently either. Weird fish for sure

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah tusks can be timid. Sorry. I do suggest a box but if you really want a wrasse that handles aggression well you can’t do better than a Thalassoma. They are super tough. My red coris can be timid but not my Thalassoma. I really think the Cortez would be a good bet.
Cool! Ill do some more research and wait for more input on this thread before pulling the trigger on one! And yes I have a box, Im looking to get a bigger box for new fish so they have more room while acclimating

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
No dont have a red coris, never have but have asked questions about them, current stock in the 125 are clowns, powder blue tang, purple tang, yellow tang, regal angel and a foxface

Edit only wrasse I have is a mel in my smaller tank. Posted about him cause he hate a dang fireworm and got stung
Your tank is only 15g larger than mine.
With 3 Tangs, an angel, and the fox, I think you're fish are going to feel very cramped very quickly.
Personally, I would not add a larger, aggressive wrasse in that tank.
Just my opinion.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Discovered this kind of wrasse recently! Beautiful and aggressive, I do have a more aggressive tank going in my bigger one. Stocking around the powder blue as far as aggression. Been talking with @Slocke in another thread about wrasses for a more aggressive/predator tank and discovered the cortez wrasse. Upon looking up the scientific names, these wrasse are freaking beautiful! So question is I want to add 2 wrasse to this tank. Was looking at a cortez and a red coris. I was wondering if that combo works or can two of these Thalassoma wrasses go together? Seen some conflicting info given their aggressive state, so asking the #wrassenerds for some opinions, suggestions ect! Open to suggestions for other wrasse that are compatible if you have other suggestions? Just need them to be more aggressive and I want to add two wrasses total to the tank!
Two Thalassoma can potentially work together however I don’t believe there is any way we can truly get these to 100% cohabitate together. I believe it’s best to add them together or add several to an established one (I would Outnumber the Established amount or if you can’t do that then an acclimation box is useful).

As for will the Thalassoma and Red Coris work, yes they will work well together. However, if they’ll work in your Display I’m unsure as I don’t know much other than it’s a 125G tank (which is around 5’ long I assume).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dont have a red coris, never have but have asked questions about them, current stock in the 125 are clowns, powder blue tang, purple tang, yellow tang, regal angel and a foxface

Edit only wrasse I have is a mel in my smaller tank. Posted about him cause he hate a dang fireworm and got stung
Just seen this, honestly I’d leave adding any more fish. It’s unlikely it will work as your tank appears rather crowded going by it’s 4-5’ with 3 (quite possibly large) tangs and a Foxface (which do get large and are alright in 4’ tanks if they aren’t with other large fish that get 9”+).

I would add 2 Ruby Dragonets and then leave the stocking at that. I don’t think another high activity fish will do well (And Thalassoma are very high activity species).

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m late to this discussion, but since I was tagged I’ll just add that I agree with the others not to add a Thalassoma wrasse to your tank.

All Thalassoma spp. are on the aggressive side, the more crowded their conditions the more aggressive they’ll become. You have some nice fish in your tank you don’t want a Thalassoma wrasse to snap and change all that.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m late to this discussion, but since I was tagged I’ll just add that I agree with the others not to add a Thalassoma wrasse to your tank.

All Thalassoma spp. are on the aggressive side, the more crowded their conditions the more aggressive they’ll become. You have some nice fish in your tank you don’t want a Thalassoma wrasse to snap and change all that.
Just seen this, honestly I’d leave adding any more fish. It’s unlikely it will work as your tank appears rather crowded going by it’s 4-5’ with 3 (quite possibly large) tangs and a Foxface (which do get large and are alright in 4’ tanks if they aren’t with other large fish that get 9”+).

I would add 2 Ruby Dragonets and then leave the stocking at that. I don’t think another high activity fish will do well (And Thalassoma are very high activity species).
Cool thank you guys! Ill probably pass on the wrasse then, thank you guys for your honesty! Also my tank is actually six feet not five otherwise I wouldnt have put tangs in there!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back