Wrasse nerds!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending up the bat signal. @Slocke @i cant think

I have a lot of bristleworms in my larger tank. Potentially looking to add a wrasse to help this issue. My tank has more semi aggressive and aggressive fish so I would need a wrasse that can stand up to that. Been looking at the thalassoma family since they are more aggressive. Bad idea or am I on the right track? No wrasses in this tank other than the tusk. Need the wrasse on the bigger side too so Ivar (my jeweled moray) isnt tempted to eat it! Completely open to suggestions

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending up the bat signal. @Slocke @i cant think

I have a lot of bristleworms in my larger tank. Potentially looking to add a wrasse to help this issue. My tank has more semi aggressive and aggressive fish so I would need a wrasse that can stand up to that. Been looking at the thalassoma family since they are more aggressive. Bad idea or am I on the right track? No wrasses in this tank other than the tusk. Need the wrasse on the bigger side too so Ivar (my jeweled moray) isnt tempted to eat it! Completely open to suggestions
Thalassoma are the easiest wrasse but also the most aggressive for their size (except maybe Pseudocheilinus). Won’t be bullied but if you have any smaller fish it can pluck eyes out. They also will eat larger CUC even urchins. If you were to get one you’d want a smaller one like a bluehead.

My suggestion would be a dragon wrasse. Also aggressive but slower (and funner). Also a smaller Coris like a red (C gaimard). They get big but for their size they are much less aggressive (not pushovers though).

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thalassoma are the easiest wrasse but also the most aggressive for their size (except maybe Pseudocheilinus). Won’t be bullied but if you have any smaller fish it can pluck eyes out. They also will eat larger CUC even urchins. If you were to get one you’d want a smaller one like a bluehead.

My suggestion would be a dragon wrasse. Also aggressive but slower (and funner). Also a smaller Coris like a red (C gaimard). They get big but for their size they are much less aggressive (not pushovers though).
Oh wow I really like the blue head. Beautiful! My smallest fish is a mandarin. Would that be an issue? Could probably catch him and move him to my 70 gallon if needed

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestions:
Novaculilichthys taeniourus
Novaculoides macrolepidotus

Halichoeres hortulanus
Halichoeres chloropterus

Thalassoma quinquevittatum
Thalassoma lucasanum
Thalassoma bifasciatum

Coris gaimard
Coris atlantica
Coris caudimacula

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I really like the blue head. Beautiful! My smallest fish is a mandarin. Would that be an issue? Could probably catch him and move him to my 70 gallon if needed
I don’t know. Obviously most leave mandarins alone but I’ve seen Thalassoma pluck out both a guppies eyes in a couple seconds.

Edit: doubt it’s as dangerous as a lion though

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know. Obviously most leave mandarins alone but I’ve seen Thalassoma pluck out both a guppies eyes in a couple seconds.

Edit: doubt it’s as dangerous as a lion though
LOL yeah not to me at least though! Would I be able to do 2 of the Thalassoma wrasses or would they tear each other apart? Ive always loved the cortez/paddlefin wrasse!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized Ive posted about it before when similar threads popped up and the answer is a no no in that thread lol. So now the question is which is better for my tank? The blue head or paddle fin?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized Ive posted about it before when similar threads popped up and the answer is a no no in that thread lol. So now the question is which is better for my tank? The blue head or paddle fin?
Paddle fin is smaller and probably more peaceful

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestions:
Novaculilichthys taeniourus
Novaculoides macrolepidotus

Halichoeres hortulanus
Halichoeres chloropterus

Thalassoma quinquevittatum
Thalassoma lucasanum
Thalassoma bifasciatum

Coris gaimard
Coris atlantica
Coris caudimacula
May I second the Chloropterus ;)
Just look at those greens. Supposedly they go brown but mine has yet to show signs of browning and instead just has a gorgeous green on him.
IMG_0598.jpeg

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I second the Chloropterus ;)
Just look at those greens. Supposedly they go brown but mine has yet to show signs of browning and instead just has a gorgeous green on him.
IMG_0598.jpeg
Ooo that is beautiful!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @i cant think I think Ive decided on a blue head thalamossa. I like their coloring as a female and a male! I also really like the red coris wrasse! Would they do well together? Also really like the dragon wrasse too. Out of these 3 which would fir my tank the best? Its more predator and aggressive with the kinds of fish I have

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @i cant think I think Ive decided on a blue head thalamossa. I like their coloring as a female and a male! I also really like the red coris wrasse! Would they do well together? Also really like the dragon wrasse too. Out of these 3 which would fir my tank the best? Its more predator and aggressive with the kinds of fish I have
With my three the coris is the most peaceful but biggest. The dragon is the most entertaining and though aggressive is more defensive of a small patch. The Thalassoma is the boldest and most active.

In terms of difficulty the Thalassoma is the easiest, dragon, and coris though none are that difficult.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my three the coris is the most peaceful but biggest. The dragon is the most entertaining and though aggressive is more defensive of a small patch. The Thalassoma is the boldest and most active.

In terms of difficulty the Thalassoma is the easiest, dragon, and coris though none are that difficult.
What kind of special care does the coris formosa need? They are less expensive than the red but also stunning!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of special care does the coris formosa need? They are less expensive than the red but also stunning!
They are massive though…

Coris wrasse can be difficult to get feeding at first or so I be heard. I haven’t had that though.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are massive though…

Coris wrasse can be difficult to get feeding at first or so I be heard. I haven’t had that though.
Oh jeez I just looked up their size. I think I might have mixed a red coris with it when looking into their size!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back