Thanks a lot BRS. I'm getting divorced!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is mad at me. My son is walking around the house making vomit noises. My entire house reeks of dead fish because of that anion resin. For the love of god - put a disclaimer on your website and/or your videos about changing the resin outside!!!!

Gordon Ramsay Fish GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

knecht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Haha! I have had the same thing happen and learned quickly to store it in a sealed container and refill it outside.

OP
OP
F

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real question - why doesn't the anion in a mixed bed package cause the package to smell?

I saw an internet post about a type 1 and type 2 anion resin indicating only Type 1 smells. Is type 2 a possibility to get rid of the smell? (No idea on the answer. For all I know type 2 is toxic to humans.)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real question - why doesn't the anion in a mixed bed package cause the package to smell?

I saw an internet post about a type 1 and type 2 anion resin indicating only Type 1 smells. Is type 2 a possibility to get rid of the smell? (No idea on the answer. For all I know type 2 is toxic to humans.)

That is a great question. I'll have to do some digging on why this is the case. My hunch is possibly a difference in Type 1 vs. Type 2 for the other, but once I have more information I'll follow up!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished doing some sleuthing on this question for you!

This is actually due to the interaction of the two resins in our mixed bed color changing resin. In a bag of our Pro Series Anion resin, it is the only type of resin and has a high pH (OH form of the resin), the functional group that breaks off of the backbone here is ammonia.

Now in a mixed bed, the pH is neutral because the cation neutralizes the anion resin and creates an ammonium ion which is removed by the cation resin.

Simply put, the mixed bed anion like our generic color changing resin (non Pro Series) is going to have a neutral pH and the cation portion helps to remove the odor. On its own, the Anion has nothing to help remove or convert the ammonia so you get the strong odor. I hope this translation from a chemist helps!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't let the thought of the ammonia smell deter anyone from having the separate pro series resin beds though. It's not only more effective at removing pollutants, it is also less expensive to change the resin compared to mixed bed only. I was sceptical at first, but after watching Ryan's video, and adding on the separate cation and anion stages to my 4 stage rodi, I won't go back. Thanks to Ryan, and all of you at BRS!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't let the thought of the ammonia smell deter anyone from having the separate pro series resin beds though. It's not only more effective at removing pollutants, it is also less expensive to change the resin compared to mixed bed only. I was sceptical at first, but after watching Ryan's video, and adding on the separate cation and anion stages to my 4 stage rodi, I won't go back. Thanks to Ryan, and all of you at BRS!

The smell really is the only issue with the resin, but in our opinion is far outweighed by long term cost savings and effectiveness at removing those stubborn water contaminants.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back