Thanks for having me

My name is Karen. I have had freshwater tanks my whole life, a reef tank for a little over 6, and a seahorse tank for almost 2. Seahorses have proven to be the most challenging but I love them so it is well worth it.
D492EE0D-C4E5-40B2-94C3-31356A042DCC.jpeg
94A38F5C-F8C8-4A0B-9BB8-04A8186F2458.jpeg
91764628-3A65-4AE7-B102-AB2F1EE70A60.jpeg
27457DDF-57A3-4A46-88C5-DD6B328700E8.jpeg
FF068C26-5E4F-4AC8-9DBF-9D51FD6778DF.jpeg
DA25C42C-4A2D-4034-9E5A-A36BAF80D10A.jpeg

Welcome to the most friendly and active reef forum on the net! It's great to have someone with your experience as a part of the community. So adding a scrubber is a gamechanger for a seahorse tank? Makes sense with such frequent feedings.
 
Seahorse source has great info. Alyssa’s Savvy Seahorses has great info and beautiful seahorses, tank mates and now corals. Mine love flow, and have become more active and healthier since moving away from the super low flow so many sites recommend. I have a medium flow throughout the tank now. They also have become more active since adding tank mates other then seahorses. I have even caught them swimming and dancing with the Mandarin fish and pipefish. As well as hanging out with the other seahorse friendly fish. Mine, from Alyssa, eat frozen mysis. They prefer the food just going in the tank and chasing vs a feeder. But I know others who have said theirs prefer a feeder. Copepods are what they snack on all day, so I buy some every month just to be safe. And for a special treat, I try to give them glass shrimp once a month. They LOVE to chase and eat glass shrimp. They really are not that hard. The hardest part is that they need to be fed 3 times a day and it was a challenge finding a schedule to do that with working full time and not having the lights on too long and getting algae. I finally broke down and got an algae scrubber for thier tank and that has been a huge help to me.
very valuable tips
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new