Thawing frozen food -- do you use RODI or saltwater?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Wondering how people thaw their frozen food before feeding their fish. I've been using "fresh" saltwater, but also heard someplace that thawing food with RODI is better for the fish because it helps with maintaining their own internal salt balance which is lower than saltwater. I suppose it's a similar question if you hydrate pellet food too.

Thanks in advance.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater. I guess it could work if you're really trying to rehydrate a fish, but typically when I've thawed in RODI, it tends to make the food float more and get sucked down the overflow. So now it's just thawing in saltwater.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably overthinking this one. I put frozen cubes in a cup and set them on top of the tank to thaw sans additional water. Some cubes, like PE mysis already have too much liquid that I like to drain before feeding.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably overthinking this one. I put frozen cubes in a cup and set them on top of the tank to thaw sans additional water. Some cubes, like PE mysis already have too much liquid that I like to drain before feeding.
I do the same with PE mysis, my fish are fine with it.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone's thoughts! Much appreciated.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mini strainer. I toss all my frozen cubes in it and thaw under tap water rinsing any preservatives off. Then I take about a half cup of tank water to rinse the thawed food and strainer of tap water. Then into the tank it goes.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on 15 years with tap. Thaw with mini strainer inside a small cup. After thawed, dump out the thaw-water, rinse food in strainer under the sink (leaving nothing but food in strainer) ... dip the strainer into the tank to feed the food.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI here. As long as your tap water is not stupidly high in TDS or has Chloramines it’s unlikely to cause an issue either, particularly for larger tanks. Do the math - introducing 10 ml of water into a 250+ litre tank is not going to raise anything to a detectable level. Even over time. Maybe a concern for zero WC folk. Maybe.

If you have RODI on hand however why not use it.

I use tank water when I feed Reef Roids for the reason mentioned above - SW is heavier than FW so using tank water helps the RR sink, which is what I want. For fish food however floating is good as it means the food stays in the water column longer. My return is off during feeding so that isn’t an issue for me.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thaw the cubes with a swishing action in the tank between my fingers.

All you people that are thawing and discarding the "juice", you do realize your just throwing away coral food? Then you buy "coral food", yet you throw it away every time you discard the "juice" from the frozen. I have to LOL on that one.

Plenty of studies that show the small amount of "juice" left in frozen has no significant impact on nutrient levels in the tank, and yet people continue to thaw and discard any of the "juice", and only feed the main ingredients.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defrost enough food to last about 7 days, and put it in a food squirt bottle (normally for sauces), this keeps perfectly well in the fridge. Even after a week, it still smells fresh.
I defrost it in RO, drain most of the water away (but not all) and top it back up to around 200ml, including the food. I like to keep some of the juice, as my tank is moderately stocked, when it grows out, I’ll likely stop draining it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used tank water. But sometimes I’ll throw the cube (Mysis or krill) in frozen. The aggressive eaters have a slower time getting to the food and allows the more finicky/shy ones a chance to come out and get a bite. But if I’m feeding something like LRS, I thaw in tank water first.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back