The 40 gallon cube rebuild

Got a notification from Dr. Reef that my fish will ship next week. I'm super excited to get some life in the tank. I should have everything in great shape for the new residents. The only thing I'm struggling with right now is PH. I think it may be my salt that is causing it. I'm not worried about it right now. I can see what it does when lights are on all day and this tank really gets going. I may switch up my salts though to help pull it up that way. I'll finish off what I have and then decide.

IMG_5147.jpg
 
We went on a little surprise adventure today. Apparently, there is a new local fish store in a neighboring town, about a 35-minute drive from home. So we went and checked it out. It's little but clean, and the owner seems like a good dude. He said he did the store instead of starting a giant tank. His prices seem fair, and his vendor and he both do a short QT. It's not the 30-day variety, but 10 days with copper. He had a handful of coral and a decent fish selection for the size of the store. I picked up a neon dottyback that I had never considered but think will make a great addition. I also got some hermit crabs, a giant Mexican turbo, and a small toadstool frag. I have been struggling with PH levels, but I think it's due to my salt. I want to get through this box, and I will switch. While there I got some buffer to help bring the PH up until I run out of salt. He carries Fritz RPM, so I will probably go with that unless I hear bad stuff about it. I want to help support the small store where I can, even if it means using the salt he carries. I know the picture is bad, but he's tough to photograph. Once the toadstool opens back up I'll post a picture of it.

Super excited to have some life in the tank.

IMG_5163.JPG
 
We went on a little surprise adventure today. Apparently, there is a new local fish store in a neighboring town, about a 35-minute drive from home. So we went and checked it out. It's little but clean, and the owner seems like a good dude. He said he did the store instead of starting a giant tank. His prices seem fair, and his vendor and he both do a short QT. It's not the 30-day variety, but 10 days with copper. He had a handful of coral and a decent fish selection for the size of the store. I picked up a neon dottyback that I had never considered but think will make a great addition. I also got some hermit crabs, a giant Mexican turbo, and a small toadstool frag. I have been struggling with PH levels, but I think it's due to my salt. I want to get through this box, and I will switch. While there I got some buffer to help bring the PH up until I run out of salt. He carries Fritz RPM, so I will probably go with that unless I hear bad stuff about it. I want to help support the small store where I can, even if it means using the salt he carries. I know the picture is bad, but he's tough to photograph. Once the toadstool opens back up I'll post a picture of it.

Super excited to have some life in the tank.

IMG_5163.JPG
Its nice to see a soft QT where you are!

If you're struggling with pH I'd suggest buying a CO2 Scrubber. Set it up with a recirculating configuration, and you'll be set!
 
Its nice to see a soft QT where you are!

If you're struggling with pH I'd suggest buying a CO2 Scrubber. Set it up with a recirculating configuration, and you'll be set!
It's not a bad suggestion, but I'm going to try to hold off on that. I'll switch up my salt and see how things go. If it continues to be a struggle, I may have to go down that path. I am also close to a door, and I'm considering running an air tube outside for my skimmers' air intake.
 
I turned the whites on and got a decent photo of the Toadstool. It's already opened up, and he seems to be happy. I fed the tank, and the dotty (deemed Rockford by my wife) was all over the place eating. Hermits are crawling all over everything and doing well. Turbo snail is the only one that hasn't moved. I put an algae wafer in front of him, and his mouth came out, and he was eating. It just doesn't want to wonder yet.

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG
 
Its nice to see a soft QT where you are!

If you're struggling with pH I'd suggest buying a CO2 Scrubber. Set it up with a recirculating configuration, and you'll be set!
So I've never looked into CO2 scrubbers until you mentioned them. I guess with the reciculting config, how often are you swapping media? I was looking at the basic BRS scrubber.
 
Yeah for sure! I went recirculating because it increased the medias life. If not it would've gotten expensive quickly
When you have a min, would you take a picture of how yours is hooked up? I get the intake hose needs to go back into the skimmer cup, but I've seen how different people are doing it and I'm curious.
 
When you have a min, would you take a picture of how yours is hooked up? I get the intake hose needs to go back into the skimmer cup, but I've seen how different people are doing it and I'm curious.
I don't have it attach at the moment, due to some ammonia in the system. But when I put it back on then I'll show it to you.

What skimmer do you have again?
 
I don't have it attach at the moment, due to some ammonia in the system. But when I put it back on then I'll show it to you.

What skimmer do you have again?
I have a bubble Magnus curve 5. I was looking at the Fish of Hex co2 rings he prints. They are pretty cool. They are probably overkill, but they are clean, and I like them.
 
I have a bubble Magnus curve 5. I was looking at the Fish of Hex co2 rings he prints. They are pretty cool. They are probably overkill, but they are clean, and I like them.
Funny enough that's exactly what I used on my old red sea skimmer. The RSK 600. It worked perfectly!
 
Funny enough that's exactly what I used on my old red sea skimmer. The RSK 600. It worked perfectly!
Nice! Good to know. I guess if I add a scrubber (which I probably will) I'll order one of those and the BRS scrubber.
 
I fell victim to the aquasd live sale. Some of these may be a little ambitious for this early stage, but hopefully, I can make it work.

Screenshot 2024-12-09 191509.png

Screenshot 2024-12-09 191523.png

Screenshot 2024-12-09 191535.png

Screenshot 2024-12-09 191547.png
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-12-08 114622.png
    Screenshot 2024-12-08 114622.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 65
I got my Orphek lenses in from the partner membership drive. I had to play around with them some. It's pretty neat what a couple of color lenses can do for you. I included a full tank shot, which is pretty boring.

IMG_5176.JPG
IMG_5178.JPG
 
I got my Orphek lenses in from the partner membership drive. I had to play around with them some. It's pretty neat what a couple of color lenses can do for you. I included a full tank shot, which is pretty boring.

IMG_5176.JPG
IMG_5178.JPG
We need to get some corals in there ASAP!

Also here is the recirculating CO2 Scrubber. Essentially the skimmer collection cup goes into the CO2 Scrubber, then comes out and enters into the pump line. I would recommend making a moisture trap to also ensure that you prolong your medias life. (Don't mind the mess. I have to rewire some stuff and mount the Scrubber)
 

Attachments

  • 20241210_210053.jpg
    20241210_210053.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 55
We need to get some corals in there ASAP!

Also here is the recirculating CO2 Scrubber. Essentially the skimmer collection cup goes into the CO2 Scrubber, then comes out and enters into the pump line. I would recommend making a moisture trap to also ensure that you prolong your medias life. (Don't mind the mess. I have to rewire some stuff and mount the Scrubber)
Doesn't look like a mess to me, looks pretty clean. Thank you for sharing.

Also, I'll have some more next week.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new