The almost caused a divorce build

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little background I have been keeping Africas fore 20 years. I worked up to a 300 gallon tank full of frontosas and a 100 gallon under it with peacocks. I admit it was way to much tank for the room so my first thought was let's move. The wife said that's got to go well after 6 months of her not even looking in the sunroom I gave in. I sold everything but walked in 2 days later with 29 gallon biocube and was hooked. Fast forward 6 months just before Christmas 150 gallon cube running great till that drip started and got worse time to scramble move everything to 55 gallon barrels temp. Loosing all my coral saved the livestock. Here's the cube early days next post will be about the fish room that didn't quite make it

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

OP
OP
Dale Jones

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to the fish room that didn't happen. I talked the boss into me building a room in the basement for a couple lowboys 55 gallon drum fuge 4 foot custom built by me sump plumed to the replacement 150 cube in the sunroom. Well the more I looked at the tank the more I thought I wand a bigger footprint and not as tall. So sell the tank and stand and canopy call Glass cages and ordered a 48x3618 ( love the tank ). Built the stand "with basement sump in mind it's running at this point" start measuring to run the plumbing and the wife walks in and asks what are you doing with the drill? I stare at her thinking she's messing with me but nope serious as can be I never agreed to that I ask then why let me get this far? I don't know I never knew you were drilling the floor you can do what ever you want but that So plan b which s what I'm starting now

IMG_2379.JPG

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I've had my small reef tank for about a year now and recently bought all new stuff and tripled my tank size. Since I was away at college my dad had been taking care of my tank which got him hooked.... little did my mother know that in the basement was a tank he was building for himself haha once taxes rolled around I came home one weekend to visit and lets just say there is now a tank in our dinning room haha

OP
OP
Dale Jones

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat and measured and thought we'll sell everything not wet right now and regroup this is where it begins I received the sump and light today I'm on s budget so had to factor that in ice cap 30 sump wow I'm impressed with it. 4 dosing ports 3 probe holders ato chamber 2 4 in socks 2 1 in inlets and looks great

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my stuff is mostly DIY as I'm going to be moving next year so instead of setting everything up and what not now I'm gonna wait and upgrade to a 65g I hope once I move out. Being in college, working, and trying to maintain a tank can be a bit of a hassle.

I love that sump I actually thought about ordering one but I decided to go cheap way and take advantage of the 20g long I had laying around :D

OP
OP
Dale Jones

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also received my light fixture today I have ati bulbs coming in Monday from bulk reef supply I went cheep on the fixture. Sun Blaze 960305 T5 High Output Lamp, 4-Feet, 8 Lamps. From Amazon BRS was out of stock I have a custom light bar I made to hang it with I have to make two post for it to attach to they will be 5 pieces of 3x1 oak laminated together and stained to match the stand here's the light and the mount and a look at stand with stain

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

OP
OP
Dale Jones

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my stuff is mostly DIY as I'm going to be moving next year so instead of setting everything up and what not now I'm gonna wait and upgrade to a 65g I hope once I move out. Being in college, working, and trying to maintain a tank can be a bit of a hassle.

I love that sump I actually thought about ordering one but I decided to go cheap way and take advantage of the 20g long I had laying around :D
Diy all the way

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dale Jones

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ice cap ato coming in tomorrow it looks interesting with the dual eyes and over fill alarm. 1 22 in reactor for cheato 3 medium 18 in reactors one carbon one gfo and one pellet should be in Wednesday I went with the jaboe dosing pump to Handel the Triton core 7 elements. I will update everything as I go sorry if I ramble it's my first attempt at anything like this. Also thanks to everyone that has posted and helped me and all the rest of us.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ice cap ato coming in tomorrow it looks interesting with the dual eyes and over fill alarm. 1 22 in reactor for cheato 3 medium 18 in reactors one carbon one gfo and one pellet should be in Wednesday I went with the jaboe dosing pump to Handel the Triton core 7 elements. I will update everything as I go sorry if I ramble it's my first attempt at anything like this. Also thanks to everyone that has posted and helped me and all the rest of us.

man bought up the store ;)

and yes most if not everyone here is very friendly and willing to help out :)

OP
OP
Dale Jones

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She said I don't care what you do just mo holes in the floor so I took it as permission

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She said I don't care what you do just mo holes in the floor so I took it as permission

haha wish I could get this kind of permission... should of heard my mother when we told her we might of spent $400 on corals haha

OP
OP
Dale Jones

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not posting sooner I will fill in more progress I did take pictures as I went

IMG_2622.JPG

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back