0   0   0
Here's the pair. pic courtesy of my lfs:
scribbled-pair.jpg

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Male Flame Angel is on fire as he strutting around the tank try to impress his Ladies. I never realized why they are called Flame Angels until just today.
FlameAngel2019070808.jpg
FlameAngel2019070805.jpg
From what area does your flame angel come from? Those colours are amazing

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what area does your flame angel come from? Those colours are amazing
That is the nuptial color of a normal male flame angel. That yellow coloration only comes when he spawning.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad they are doing well for you Alton.
Centropyge spawning ritual is fun to watch, especially when the male is trying to spawn with multiple females. I got several video of it somewhere on You Tube.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad they are doing well for you Alton.
Centropyge spawning ritual is fun to watch, especially when the male is trying to spawn with multiple females. I got several video of it somewhere on You Tube.
So you would recommend 3 flames (1 male and 2 females ) instead a male flame and 2-3 other flame angels?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alll depends on the size of the tank. The more the merrier. My previous tank was 420 I keep 6 in there. Now I have a 320 and I have three with another in the sump. She was sickly and thin, I nurse her back to health in my sump but have not have the time to catch her and put her into my DT. My sump is full of rock and algae along with all the equipment.
We can only keep 1 male Centropyge in a tank, even if it is large (<500 gal, never have larger tank than that). I don't pay any attention to even and odd numbers as recommended by some people. I don't think they (the fish) are taught mathematics as youngsters, thus cannot count.

IMO, 65-100ish tanks with plenty of rock should have 2 Flame angels, more in tank that are larger, > 120 can have more. Flame angel, and all Centropyge, are very efficient pod hunters, the best, and will limit the ability for that tank to support exclusively pod eaters like Dragonet.

Of the Centropyge , I like Flame angels the most out of all the ones I can get and can afford. I don't have much experiences with other species other than Cherub and Flame back. They are all about the same in term of sexual behavior. Their tendency to pick at invert are all over the place, but I feed my tank heavy and have no unacceptable picking (meaning they do pick at Invert from time to time) of my corals, anemones and clams.

IMO, Centropyge, especially Flame angels are very rewarding to keep as harem in our tanks. At th every least their nightly spawning indicated that we are taken good care of our animals.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alll depends on the size of the tank. The more the merrier. My previous tank was 420 I keep 6 in there. Now I have a 320 and I have three with another in the sump. She was sickly and thin, I nurse her back to health in my sump but have not have the time to catch her and put her into my DT. My sump is full of rock and algae along with all the equipment.
We can only keep 1 male Centropyge in a tank, even if it is large (<500 gal, never have larger tank than that). I don't pay any attention to even and odd numbers as recommended by some people. I don't think they (the fish) are taught mathematics as youngsters, thus cannot count.

IMO, 65-100ish tanks with plenty of rock should have 2 Flame angels, more in tank that are larger, > 120 can have more. Flame angel, and all Centropyge, are very efficient pod hunters, the best, and will limit the ability for that tank to support exclusively pod eaters like Dragonet.

Of the Centropyge , I like Flame angels the most out of all the ones I can get and can afford. I don't have much experiences with other species other than Cherub and Flame back. They are all about the same in term of sexual behavior. Their tendency to pick at invert are all over the place, but I feed my tank heavy and have no unacceptable picking (meaning they do pick at Invert from time to time) of my corals, anemones and clams.

IMO, Centropyge, especially Flame angels are very rewarding to keep as harem in our tanks. At th every least their nightly spawning indicated that we are taken good care of our animals.
I have a 205 gallon that I’m hoping to plumb next weekend. How many do you recommend for that size of tank?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of it is depends on how you keep the tank and if you want Dragonet. If you don’t care about the pods in your tank than 3+. If you have a diverse tank and a lot of fauna for a dragonet or two than just a pair.
Dragonet pair are also very beautiful and rewarding.

Also having healthy pods population in your tank will really help you keep hard to keep fish species
F28D00CE-7750-4FE1-B6F6-53DC08DBA4B3.jpeg

7E8F109D-2B37-479C-BC12-9E85B16E3839.jpeg

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of it is depends on how you keep the tank and if you want Dragonet. If you don’t care about the pods in your tank than 3+. If you have a diverse tank and a lot of fauna for a dragonet or two than just a pair.
Dragonet pair are also very beautiful and rewarding.

Also having healthy pods population in your tank will really help you keep hard to keep fish species
F28D00CE-7750-4FE1-B6F6-53DC08DBA4B3.jpeg

7E8F109D-2B37-479C-BC12-9E85B16E3839.jpeg
I was told that I couldn’t have a dragonet if I don’t have live rock. Is that true? I have a wall of fake live rock and corals. I was going to add pods to my sump every x amount months. I was thinking about a schoal of anthias Thoughts.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping fish that eat the food that we give them are easy. Keeping fishes that either feed exclusive on live food they hunt in our tank, or have to slowly get use to food that we feed them (while taken live food initially) are harder. They need a thriving flora and fauna to do well, or give the cushing they need to transition to tank food.
I would never set up a tank exclusively from dry sand and dry rock. Seed it with some good live rock. Get LR and LS from places like Tampa Bay Live rock and seed your tank with these, or get LS and LR from a healthy tank (not as good). Once you have a thriving ecosystem, then sky is the limit (with in reason)
Anthias often do not do well long term, They need automated feeding (or else be at home a lot) to do well, 4+ times a day.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping fish that eat the food that we give them are easy. Keeping fishes that either feed exclusive on live food they hunt in our tank, or have to slowly get use to food that we feed them (while taken live food initially) are harder. They need a thriving flora and fauna to do well, or give the cushing they need to transition to tank food.
I would never set up a tank exclusively from dry sand and dry rock. Seed it with some good live rock. Get LR and LS from places like Tampa Bay Live rock and seed your tank with these, or get LS and LR from a healthy tank (not as good). Once you have a thriving ecosystem, then sky is the limit (with in reason)
Anthias often do not do well long term, They need automated feeding (or else be at home a lot) to do well, 4+ times a day.
I have a fake rock and coral wall with caves, overhangs and hiding places for them. I’m going to make sure that the tank is well cycled before I add any fish. Clown fish will be my first addiction and then a royal gramma. I will be adding a bunch of pods in the sump before I ever add any fish. I’ll probably constantly add some so that I have a constant supply for the anthias and dwarf angels. I’ll also have an automatic fish feeder. I want to make life easy for the fish and me. I’m an injured veteran and I want this tank to help me with my daily life and during my recovery times from surgeries. I would probably wait roughly 6 months before I add anthias and 8 months before angels. Tangs will be my last addition. Hopefully an Achilles tang to round up all my fish additions. Thoughts

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back