....THE BEST AND WORST OF TIMES....THAT FIRST YEAR.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Keeping sps has certainly gotten easier and more accessible than ever over the last 10-15 years. Advancements in technology and the sharing of knowledge and wisdom have accelerated the green hobbyist's success rate exponentially, and made the entire experience far less “daunting” and intimidating than ever before.

Fading fast are the notions that sps are to be reserved for advanced or experienced reefers only, and that "one day maybe" sentiment has become an insatiable appetite for acropora. It’s true that just about anyone can have success with acros these days, and that is a tremendous accomplishment in this hobby over all.

IMG_5191.jpg

But one area that will always serve to both frustrate and amaze, is that first year you spend with you new frags. No matter how versed you are in keeping sps, and no matter how many tricks you have up your sleeve to keep them happy and get them growing, that first year is just excruciating. And by that I mean it just seems to take for ever for that little frag to move, and eventually blossom. Having had to start my own display over a couple years ago now after an unfortunate leak, I am right there in the throes of it all myself. In fact I’m just now finally starting to see some actual movement in a lot of these pieces I’ve been staring at all this time now lol. Let me just say, having had the tank full of colonies as well, this entire period, this "first year", is as awesomely exhilarating as much as it excruciating and will probably be the best time you and you little frags share by far. We can't help but fixate on the most minute amount of observable growth possible. Like a watched pot, the longer you stay, the less action you’re going to see. We just can't stop staring. But all of this neurotic behavior finally finds a reward in a sprawling sps colony maybe a year or two after the expiration of this most enjoyably brutal first year.

And after you’ve got the grown up colonies that you are so familiar with. Every single stalk and nook a perfect memory. The moment you plant a new frag in that tank, this now is the object of your obsession, and the whole process starts again!

waiting.jpg

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Day!...........Show Off! :p

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Totally agree and then you get to a point where the sps themselves become a problem and have to be hacked down
stag.jpg

awesome indeed my friend! Very impressive. But I still bet when you add one small frag, the blinders immediately go up and all you can see is that new little guy in there ;)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was here very involved with a thread in the SPS section were he was having trouble with his acros. The system being only 8 months old we expressed how long it can take a system to mature.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was here very involved with a thread in the SPS section were he was having trouble with his acros. The system being only 8 months old we expressed how long it can take a system to mature.

This is true, with a new system its even more of a patient mans game. But even in a well established reef, that first year is going to be the slowest that frag moves ever.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word "Mature" means a lot, I am seeing that now as well with my SPS frags, my tank is young, I have great color, PE and some growth but daily I wait for the "Oh my gosh wow factor" to really see some movement! I know that time and tank maturity are the key factors but still really fun to watch and learn!!! Happy Reefing :confused:

FutNA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up Adam. I agree with this completely. I endlessly stare several times daily to watch to see how much encrusting I am getting out of all the ones I have recently bought from you. Just waiting for the day they start to move.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good write up Adam. I agree with this completely. I endlessly stare several times daily to watch to see how much encrusting I am getting out of all the ones I have recently bought from you. Just waiting for the day they start to move.

Just know that you are not alone my friend :)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The word "Mature" means a lot, I am seeing that now as well with my SPS frags, my tank is young, I have great color, PE and some growth but daily I wait for the "Oh my gosh wow factor" to really see some movement! I know that time and tank maturity are the key factors but still really fun to watch and learn!!! Happy Reefing :confused:

Very true. In a new, to newer tank this whole notion is exacerbated for sure. Everything is in slow motion for a while . Everything good that is lol

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've noticed in this hobby is it definitely tends to attract or at least cultivate non-satisfaction. Most people aren't happy with their tank in one way or another. Either it's "yeah, it would be perfect if i only had giant colony of X", or, the perpetual "If I get X equipment, everything will improve".

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but something to take note of. not many people in this hobby stop to stare at their acros, they just go online to stare at ones they don't have.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your tank is about 7 months old, and you finally have an sps encrusting...you have to treat your tank for polyclads, and your beautiful tri-color starts RTN'ing....

UUUUUGH!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When your tank is about 7 months old, and you finally have an sps encrusting...you have to treat your tank for polyclads, and your beautiful tri-color starts RTN'ing....

UUUUUGH!

That sucks man would a wrasse or two help with those? how did you go about treating them?

thewasho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im lucky that i live just down the road to a coral collector/aquaculture in australia, this frag is 3rd generation captivity from a mother colony on the great barrier reef, top photo is the day i glued it down, bottom photo is 14 days growth since accliamating

20180317_170915.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back