The Best Food for Your Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RotiRumbThumb_1200x.jpg

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pavona maldivensis

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of interest and debate about what are the best foods for your reef.

Many years ago it was thought that stirring up sediment on the bottom of the tank in the sand bed was the preferred food for all the inhabitants of your reef. It's been said many times that fish poop is all that is needed to feed your reef. Folks have hotly debated feeding and nutrition for reef aquariums since the beginning of the hobby. Over the years many products have been introduced with widely varying claims, some more unbelievable than others. In the past there were actually magic elixirs for your reef that claimed that sparks would fly as you opened the bottle!

As reefkeepers we often are seeking that one magic potion or food to make our reef just like those beautiful reef tanks of the month. However, as most experienced reefkeepers have found through trial and error that there is often no simple answer and certainly no magic potions when it comes to building and maintaining an impressive reef aquarium with a diversity of marine organisms. However, we have found that a more natural approach is definitely better.

Of late, there has been a trend to step away from silver bullets in a bottle and exaggerated claims and to move more toward a holistic natural approach in many aspects of reefkeeping including feeding. In the reefkeeping hobby we are beginning to understand the complex nature of many aspects in our tanks. For example, bacteria play a vital role and also need balancing along with chemical interactions and natural foods to make our critters thrive.

One thing I have found in the 50+ years I've been in this hobby is that often natural is better. Years ago I started to culture my own live foods and started to feed them daily to my systems. I found that the tanks stayed cleaner while still providing excellent nutrition to the inhabitants. In many of our display tanks we no longer do water changes as we have found them to be unnecessary since feeding live foods.

The basis of live foods for your reef is phytoplankton, microscopic live algae. The nutritional benefits of live phytoplankton are numerous and well documented. Each different phytoplankton has a different nutritional profile, including critical fatty acids. The fish, inverts, and corals in our tanks need these nutritional resources but are unable to digest the cell wall of the algae. So, the algae are fed to other critters that can digest the algae and then these critters are easily devoured by our tank's inhabitants and thus they obtain the algae benefits via these critters. The critters include, from smallest to largest, rotifers, copepods, and brine shrimp. These three critters are used as carriers of the phytoplankton, as well as providing additional nutritional benefits. Each critter has a variety of sizes since the newly hatched are smaller than the adults. Rotifers are very small and appear as tiny dots, copepods are easily visible, and brine shrimp vary from tiny freshly hatch to adults.

We grow and feed a variety of phytoplankton to feed our rotifers, copepods, and brine shrimp so that we can pack them with as much nutritional power as possible.

My experience from feeding these live foods is that the added phytoplankton and the carrier critters are excellent nutrition for most reef aquarium inhabitants allowing them to reach their maximum genetic potential. Plus, the addition of these foods actually helps keep your tank clean and algae free. It's not a wild claim, you in fact can feed everything in your reef and at the same time help keep it cleaner! The critters continue to devour algae in your tank and begin to reproduce and the phytoplankton acts as excess nutrient gobbles, just like any other algae they utilize dissolved organics as food. This combination is a powerful and natural force that does not upset other balances in your tank, unlike using dead foods.

Try some of our brews for a few months and see if they make a difference. My personal favorite are rotifers, their size is perfect for most corals and inverts. Plus, our Roti Rumba with added phytoplankton is very dense--you'll receive many thousands of rotifers in every 16oz bottle! Our brine shrimp and copepods are tasty morsels for most fish and larger polyp corals and our phytoplankton blend is great to help keep your reef algae free.

Try some today, I think you'll agree that natural is better.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks fantastic!

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back