The best sand sifters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodyRVA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
My Diamond Goby was very active, sifted sand around the entire tank (Reefer170), he also built several burrows, and did indeed make a mess of low rockwork and corals with all of his sand movement. I even saw him pick up and move frags (and hermits, and snails) which was more amusing than annoying.

Then I watched him literally devour my baby Mandarin Dragonet the second I dropped him into the tank. Was not expecting that at all. The next day the diamond goby jumped out of the tank, sadly. Odd since he was never very skittish and I never saw him move above the lower third.

Anyway, that's my story - highs, lows, drama. Can't say I recommend him but he was certainly a character. RIP.

Edit - Major thread resurrection, did not see the age!
 
Need input on the "best" sand sifters out there. Was looking at a cucumber for a while, but am fearful of toxins and fish loss, although they seem very efficient. Thoughts?

I've had nassarius snails in the past, but looking for an alternative.

I've also debated gobies, I have a 4 foot tank and about a 1.5 inch sand bed, not sure if I would need 1 or 2 of these guys, I'm open to buying a pair, but what type? The only other goby I have is a clown goby who hangs out in my SPS colonies; just trying to avoid aggression.
I have an engineer goby (hence the name) that is over 30 years old. He is always moving the crushed coral bed at night. He only needs some sort of cover / cave / tunnel to reside in. He is also very shy and not aggressive. He would need to be with other peaceful fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new