THE BIG QUESTION: t5 or XHO LEDs ?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this on the 50 gallon lagoon that i am setting up. I happened to have added two reefbrites and two kessil 160's as well--but that is way over kill. lol. The build thread in on reef2reef.

If i did all LED it would probably be the ATI Stratons... Who could duplicate t5's better??? No fans, super thin and low profile...

But radions and probably Skys (we don't know what led spectrums is though yet...) or a few kessils would be good too. I always have kessils in the mix because i love the shimmer and light they produce the best.
I am doing the AIO lagoon with work travel the wife doesn't want to worry about the sump and stuff so not the footprint of the EXT but close. Still look more mixed reef than SPS dominated.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the AIO lagoon with work travel the wife doesn't want to worry about the sump and stuff so not the footprint of the EXT but close. Still look more mixed reef than SPS dominated.
i bet you could fit a six bulb and reefbrite up front. I would reconsider the EXT versus AIO personally. The extra 4 inches is a lot IMO on that tank and sumps are nothing to worry about; rather, they make a much more clean looking tank with gear devoted below.

rea1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used T5/Kessil Hybrid, and have gone to Reefbrite/Kessil Hybrid and have great SPS growth in my SPS Dominant tank (4ft 100gal). The narrower spectrum of reefbrites is overstated, especially when combining w/Kessil's spectrum. The Reefbrites are there for fill light and have worked great. I also appreciate the lack of heat and not having to replace the bulb.
I am getting a Pro Star 230 Aquarium Dimensions: 72" x 26" x 24" high

I am wanting to be able to put whatever I want in it SPS and softies etc.
I was looking at getting 6 - kessil a360x tuna blues and put them inside the Reef Brite dual strip LED Hybrid Kit.

Or I could do the quad with the 6 - a360x like this:

Do you think either would be a good lighting setup? I am asking because it sounds like you are already running something like this.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dilemma for many people when it comes to lighting. That's why after many years with both types of lighting I became convinced that a Hybrid lighting system is the best bet. You get the benefits of the hight PAR of LED's plus the light wrap / shadow elimination of the T5's. SPS corals, especially Acro's just seem to love the light from T5's. Best of luck in your decision.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over my 48" x 24" x 16" I was going for the ATI Sunpower t5 8 bulb for my wall to wall sps tank... BUT watch BRS and having other people recommend them, idk if I should choose the (48" XHO LED Light Kit - Reef Brite) .

I am looking for the overall growth, even though the XHO LED do provide more PAR, you are sacrificing a spectrum loss with them over the t5s.
A lot of people are trying them out, but they aren't as proven to grow like t5s since they are somewhat fairly new but hey.. you never know.

Please let me know what you think.

I don't think the XHO has the dialed in spectrum (assuming coverage is 100% XHO) necessary to release the potential of coral coloration.

I use them as "blanket/sky" coverage as BRS does but to augment coverage from my Kessil's.

I would be curious to see a tank that is using (for any appreciable amount of time) XHO exclusively. Until then i would lean towards the T5 fixture.

Or consider the AI Blade Glow/Grow fixtures (much better spectrum, but in the ' bar' format, at similar pricing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back