THE BIG QUESTION: t5 or XHO LEDs ?

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my 48" x 24" x 16" I was going for the ATI Sunpower t5 8 bulb for my wall to wall sps tank... BUT watch BRS and having other people recommend them, idk if I should choose the (48" XHO LED Light Kit - Reef Brite) .

I am looking for the overall growth, even though the XHO LED do provide more PAR, you are sacrificing a spectrum loss with them over the t5s.
A lot of people are trying them out, but they aren't as proven to grow like t5s since they are somewhat fairly new but hey.. you never know.

Please let me know what you think.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Reefbrites but, you can't go wrong (or beat?) T5 growth. The actinic bulb spectrum on the ReefBrites is very narrow (as opposed to ATI blue plus). I would get the ATI fixture 6 or 8 bulb and add Reefbrite or Orphek actinics (one or two bars) to help bring out colors. Otherwise, i would look at other LED strips if just doing all LED strips. Orphek and there is a few more lesser known ones like SB reef bars (https://sbreeflights.com/sbar-suppl...mental-5050-bar-lights.html#/6-sbar_sizing-48)

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Reefbrites but, you can't go wrong (or beat?) T5 growth. The actinic bulb spectrum on the ReefBrites is very narrow (as opposed to ATI blue plus). I would get the ATI fixture 6 or 8 bulb and add Reefbrite or Orphek actinics (one or two bars) to help bring out colors. Otherwise, i would look at other LED strips if just doing all LED strips. Orphek and there is a few more lesser known ones like SB reef bars (https://sbreeflights.com/sbar-suppl...mental-5050-bar-lights.html#/6-sbar_sizing-48)
So basically t5 is still the way to go, and maybe for more color get led strips ?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically t5 is still the way to go, and maybe for more color get led strips ?
I wouldn't go that far. Many LED's are great. I just think the ReefBrite actinic have limited spectrum. Other LEDs are have fuller spectrum, like Radions, Orpheks, etc.

I would say you cannot go wrong with T5's and LEDs are no less expensive in long run (given their lifespan). Any LED now a days will work more than likely. If LEDs can grow as well as T5's that's the harder part for them. Halides probably get the most growth based on what i have heard people who have run all three at the same time say.

Personally I have used all T5's, all LED, and will be using a hybrid approach on my newest tanks as i saw in person and love the look...

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go that far. Many LED's are great. I just think the ReefBrite actinic have limited spectrum. Other LEDs are have fuller spectrum, like Radions, Orpheks, etc.

I would say you cannot go wrong with T5's and LEDs are no less expensive in long run (given their lifespan). Any LED now a days will work more than likely. If LEDs can grow as well as T5's that's the harder part for them. Halides probably get the most growth based on what i have heard people who have run all three at the same time say.

Personally I have used all T5's, all LED, and will be using a hybrid approach on my newest tanks as i saw in person and love the look...
for a 4ft tank, what kind of hybrid setup would work with wall to wall sps

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 four or six or eight bulb fixture.
  • with 2-4 kessils (160's if 18 inches or less deep tank or 360's if over 20 inches deep), radions, aqua illuminations (prime/hydras)
  • with one or two reerbrites or orphek, etc. (more if less t5's)
More LEDs and more T5's equal more light/coverage if you go more with one, you can go less with the other.
Also for a clean look check out ATI strattons or new neptune skys/

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bank of Reefbrite LED strips is not the same as T5 in spectral levels. They are non existent in the 400-420 range. A setup like that is "back to the future" when many people had problems with mainly white/blue diodes.

I wouldn't go down this road........... It's experimental at best regardless of the brand you use. Stay with proven lighting over acro tanks whether it's LED or T5.

You're going to get best results in coverage, growth and color going with T5 as the workhorse and LED for supplements.

Small unit and puck style LEDs are going to fall out of favor as the only real benefit they offer is shimmer over units like Stratton or Sky which are going to be in the drivers seat due to coverage and bang for $.

A lot depends on what you're willing to spend.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Why not both? I do zoas but over my grow out I use Aquatic Life 4-bulb T5 hybrid fixtures with Reefbrite XHOs in the middle. The results can’t be beat. The investment is worth it. High par under center and then you can tweak the spectrum with your T5s.

867D0512-6996-4A3A-9FD3-5575AB8BBD0C.jpeg

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not both? I do zoas but over my grow out I use Aquatic Life 4-bulb T5 hybrid fixtures with Reefbrite XHOs in the middle. The results can’t be beat. The investment is worth it. High par under center and then you can tweak the spectrum with your T5s.

867D0512-6996-4A3A-9FD3-5575AB8BBD0C.jpeg
Would the 4 bulb be enough for wall to wall sps or should i go for 6 bulb + hybrid if im wanting shimmer. because i was just going for the 8 bulb for amazing coverage .

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the 4 bulb be enough for wall to wall sps or should i go for 6 bulb + hybrid if im wanting shimmer. because i was just going for the 8 bulb for amazing coverage .
For SPS only a four bulb fixture would supplement proper LED coverage. Six bulbs would require some LEDs but could be spaced farther than normal. Eight bulbs only need supplementary LEDs.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I’ve seen the 8 bulb ati used for sps grow outs to excellent effect.

Tank dimensions sound like a low boy. I had initially used mine over a lowboy to excellent effect. Hitting 200+ par. Now, since I’m a zoa guy that was obviously too high for me. The one rub with the hybrid fixtures is that there’s a 8-10” gap in the middle between the T5’s for the led.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used T5/Kessil Hybrid, and have gone to Reefbrite/Kessil Hybrid and have great SPS growth in my SPS Dominant tank (4ft 100gal). The narrower spectrum of reefbrites is overstated, especially when combining w/Kessil's spectrum. The Reefbrites are there for fill light and have worked great. I also appreciate the lack of heat and not having to replace the bulb.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used T5/Kessil Hybrid, and have gone to Reefbrite/Kessil Hybrid and have great SPS growth in my SPS Dominant tank (4ft 100gal). The narrower spectrum of reefbrites is overstated, especially when combining w/Kessil's spectrum. The Reefbrites are there for fill light and have worked great. I also appreciate the lack of heat and not having to replace the bulb.
I just would not run a tank solely on reefbrites....

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usin 2 reefbrite 50/50 as baseline fill light on my 29G for the even 100 - 200 par thru out the tank + 3 AI prime as the heavy hitters to round out the spectrums and customize the par maps so that the SPS areas can get to 400+ par and the LPS areas still get the spectrum needed w/o going over 300PAR

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my 48" x 24" x 16" I was going for the ATI Sunpower t5 8 bulb for my wall to wall sps tank... BUT watch BRS and having other people recommend them, idk if I should choose the (48" XHO LED Light Kit - Reef Brite) .

I am looking for the overall growth, even though the XHO LED do provide more PAR, you are sacrificing a spectrum loss with them over the t5s.
A lot of people are trying them out, but they aren't as proven to grow like t5s since they are somewhat fairly new but hey.. you never know.

you'll lose both par and spectrum.
i used to run a 48" 8-bulb ATI and had an XHO strip for accent and night time actinic. my personal feeling is if you're going to run a more than one XHO you're still going to require a workhorse to supply the par.
i'd just look into Radion G5's and you'll get everything you're after in one fixture. i did and love them.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering going to all T5’s on a 50g lagoon with a 6x24w dimmable ATI.
I have this on the 50 gallon lagoon that i am setting up. I happened to have added two reefbrites and two kessil 160's as well--but that is way over kill. lol. The build thread in on reef2reef.

If i did all LED it would probably be the ATI Stratons... Who could duplicate t5's better??? No fans, super thin and low profile...

But radions and probably Skys (we don't know what led spectrums is though yet...) or a few kessils would be good too. I always have kessils in the mix because i love the shimmer and light they produce the best.

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Just get the ATI 8 bulb, and 2 XHO which you can add to the fixture. You might need to raise it a little inch higher, but both together works. I'm getting a XHO for my ATI which arrive tomorrow.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my opinion with my personal experience: go with the option YOU like the most. LED, T5, and Halides all grow corals. You know what doesn’t grow corals? Instability. I personally was not satisfied with my ai hydras. I didn’t like the color and spread for my tank. I kept changing the settings every day.

I’m switching to T5’s but that’s just my personal preference because I like even spread, proven spectrums, and no disco ball effects from reds. (My tank is large) so adding more LED’s was too expensive for me with the same issues of the colors.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back