OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last post I was fighting Bryopsis. Got rid of the Bry with fluconazole, must have done too good a job cause a couple of weeks later dino started to show very small at first on power heads and frag rack, don't know whether it was a nutrient imbalance or if it was introduced by a frag probably both
but I tried to nip it early, cleaning frag rack coral plugs and pumps with H2o2. my no3 was at 5 and my po4 was 0.0. I started feeding more frozen food and not rinsing it to help increase my po4, which is now 0.04 where I will try to keep it. I was dosing vinegar which I stopped for now. still I was losing ground the dino was getting worst. I started to dose Coral snow and ZEObak nightly, skimming a bit more wet, and drum roll please..... hooked up my Marineland Magnum 350 with Miron filter. also for three day I turned off the MH and T5 only ran the blue LEDs. I blew off the rocks, frag racks and pumps twice a day with a turkey baster. My filter socks, the micro filter and the skimmate were black, so I thought it must be doing something, about the fourth day the tank started looking much better much clearer. I have started to increase my lights slowly, filter socks have much less soot, skimmate is still very dark and micon filter has been running for the last three days without clogging. I ordered a vortex Diatom Filter to give it a try, Paul B and more research has convinced me that this would be a great tool to use. Plan on running it every three to four months as a cleaning regime

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still have one of those Magnum's as well!

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely help me put a dent in those Dinos, it's been running for about 10 days, but I can't wait to try out the Vortex Diatom filter. I think it might even do a better job. We will see. I stopped doing water changes, trying to elevate my no3 and phosphate feeding the tank heavy po4 0.02-0.04. Running the ATS for 12 hours might need to increase time and light intensity to get more compitition from the algae for nutrients. This pic shows those nasty Dinos being collected by the Magnum 350
IMG_9792.JPG

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heart broken, lost the AOA Banshee to RTN:(, its the coral at 0:54 in the video I tried to frag it, no luck. seeing those beautiful polyps designate before my very eyes ;Facepalm sigh!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heart broken, lost the AOA Banshee to RTN:(, its the coral at 0:54 in the video I tried to frag it, no luck. seeing those beautiful polyps designate before my very eyes ;Facepalm sigh!
Sorry to hear is this the only one u lost?

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks justingraham. Only one, all others around it are fine, happy as heck that it wasn't multiples, haven't had a coral RTN on me in awhile all parameters are stable, just cant keep my phosphate above zero

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few of those acros from Mark. Very nice after they settle in. He shipped well and big frags.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes great looking coral, I'll hopefully replace the banshee with future purchases from him. Olaggie01 I like that Reef Savvy in your Sig

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I need to update my thread. Been a little slack on it.

Your tank looks great.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 inch glass and Felix did his thing with the phantom bottom and armored seams

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9856.PNG Tank is looking much happier these last few weeks, Alk bouncing around a bit hopefully due to coral growth (7.4-9.2). @justingraham @locito277 took you guys advice, my finned friends have blackworms added to the buffet. The Wrasse get really excited, I mean like aggressive and the trigger, of course he likes them, he like everything including my finger

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9856.PNG Tank is looking much happier these last few weeks, Alk bouncing around a bit hopefully due to coral growth (7.4-9.2). @justingraham @locito277 took you guys advice, my finned friends have blackworms added to the buffet. The Wrasse get really excited, I mean like aggressive and the trigger, of course he likes them, he like everything including my finger
Welcome to the dark side.
Yea I haven't met a fish that doesn't go crazy over black worms. Ur smallest fish will try to steal it from ur meanest fish. It doesn't matter they love it.

Just remember or maby a FYI to those who don't know black worms are not meant to be the only food for your fish. They are meant for your secondary food source. For primary food source I recomend lrs.

Hey what did you pay for that? Me and @locito277 pay completely different prices on a lbs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

• I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

• Other.

Back