Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

Just finished reading through your journal and am seriously impressed. Any more updates to share? I really want to see this thing wet!

Hey Dennis,
Any update on progress?

Ok, so I am making an effort to make some progress on my build. The teasing from my family is becoming unbearable and I want to give my long suffering fish a new roomy home.

I have decided on a plan for the facade and am starting to gather the parts needed. I just place an order for extrusion connectors from China and mounting magnets from K&J.

I have decided to use PVC foam panels to skin a frame built using extrusions. It will feature 2 posts, attached to the wall, a skirt that is magnetically attached to the stand, and an upper facade that will use the existing above tank structure to carry the facade.

The facade will compose 2 layers, a a backing bezel made of 6 mm PVC and hanging panels that are thicker PVC (either 12 mm or 19 mm | 1/2"" or 3/4") that will be removable and allow for plenty of access to under the stand from the display side. The upper facade will also feature removable hanging panels.

To attach the PVC skin to the extrusions. I am considering making them all magnetically attached. That would allow for disassembly of sections if needed. The other option is to use plain old T-nuts and bolts for the 6 mm bezel, but as I am planning on doing the bezel using single 120" sheets, trying to line up many T-nuts at the same time sounds like a nightmare. So I may make the bezel attach magnetically as well.

The removable PVC panels that will hang and compose the majority of the visible facade will ride on 20 mm lips of extrusions on the top and bottom of the openings. These lips will carry the weight of the panel and embedded magnets will pull the panels snug against the lips. This should make the panels easy to remove and re-install.

This project will probably take me most of the summer. So patience. I have a lot of 'stuff' to disassemble to allow this to move forward.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back