The case for black screen tops!

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to paint the clear netting black using Krylon Fusion or something similar? I’m in the process of setting up a new tank, and I’m considering trying this out. I have the clear netting from BRS and a can of black Krylon Fusion, so I’m thinking about trying it out. It would be great to reduce the glare from the clear netting... glad I stumbled upon this thread!

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my attempt at painting the clear BRS netting black with Krylon Fusion spray paint. I realized that I have way more screen netting that I need, so I said screw it... if this doesn’t work, I still have enough clear netting left over to do the screen top for my tank. I stuck a white piece of paper under them for a side by side comparison.

D0C0A9B7-41C9-43AA-AC0F-399EAC706726.jpeg

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but I already had the BRS netting lying around here (bought it a long time ago) and the paint lying around from previous reef project. Plus my tank footprint is only 30” x 30”, so it didn’t feel like buying in bulk only to throw most of it out.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really glad I ran into your thread, thanks for posting. I have a 40 breeder that sits pretty low, and the glare from the clear netting has always drove me nuts. I bought a roll of the black netting (and now I have enough for 10 lifetimes), and put it in yesterday. It's really amazing in person. I tried to take some comparison photos but they just don't capture the difference you see in real life. Very happy with the black netting idea, I'm sold!

Side Compare x3.JPG
Front Compare.JPG
Side Compare.JPG

Who would have ever thought that 'clear' netting would actually be the least clear? :)
Looks like BRS now sells the black netting on their site, FYI.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back