The color changed on my candy cane

reeferwayne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this candy cane coral about a month ago or so, and since then some of the polyps have turned a brighter green, while the remaining have stayed the same color as when I bought the coral. Overall the coral seems to be doing well, but I'm curious if anyone knows why this happens or has experienced it yourself?

Here's a picture of it.

IMG_1887.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they aquacultured? They look like they could be 2 varieties of CC. Do they share a common branch from the base?

Otherwise the lighter ones could’ve spilled some symbiotic algae’s and they now look bleached.

I’ve never seen a colony do this before, assuming it’s one colony.

OP
OP
R

reeferwayne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they’re aquacultured. They all share the same base branch, so it’s one colony.

I’m guessing in time the lighter ones will recover and start to look more like the other polyps if this group expelled some of the algae?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they’re aquacultured. They all share the same base branch, so it’s one colony.

I’m guessing in time the lighter ones will recover and start to look more like the other polyps if this group expelled some of the algae?
I believe someone glued 2 different kinds together at some point...

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back