The Dragon's Reef

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she was a female maybe she was just jealous of the ladies haha and i know he knows my smell he wont bother me if i put my hands in the tank. Cant say if anyone else would be able to or not lol
Haha that’s what everyone said ! She was jealous lol and ye I’m sure no one would wanna test that theory for you

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww! He's almost an adult now :<
I bet Shenron will always be your baby though.

!!!!!!!!!!
Does it let you pet him?! I would be scared with all those teeth. Are you able to hand feed? SO MANY QUESTION!
I would say he could hand feed but once the smelll of food kicks in , eels have bad eyesight and might miss the food lol so it wouldn’t be purposeful but I can see him being bitten if hand fed

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww! He's almost an adult now :<
I bet Shenron will always be your baby though.

!!!!!!!!!!
Does it let you pet him?! I would be scared with all those teeth. Are you able to hand feed? SO MANY QUESTION!
Yeah ive wanted a dragon for so long, im so happy to finally have one, he'll always be my favorite. I can hand feed him and i do from time to time, hes super calm as long as i dont miss a feeding. I still tong feed most of the time though cause its just not worth getting bit, itd be a hospital trip for sure. And with how calm he is im sure i could pet him, but again its just not worth the risk. Eels ive had in the past i usually get super young and i get them used to me handling them. I wanted to get shenron much smaller, he was supposed to be 12in or less, but he was already big enough to do damage when i got him so i never felt comfortable enough to try to handle him.

This was my green moray Sly, i had him for about 8 years, i could pet him, play with him etc. He was about 10in when i got him and he was about 4ft when he passed away due to equipment failure.
FB_IMG_1561524050845.jpg

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you have a lot of experience with eels. Too bad you couldn't get Shenron smaller, but he's still very beautiful and it sounds like he's pretty well behaved.

I take it you keep him fed enough to where he doesn't attack your other fish? :0

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you have a lot of experience with eels. Too bad you couldn't get Shenron smaller, but he's still very beautiful and it sounds like he's pretty well behaved.

I take it you keep him fed enough to where he doesn't attack your other fish? :0
Eels are my favorite, ive had probably 12 or so different species over my 20 years in the hobby.

And he is very well fed, i think he eats better than i do haha he gets salmon, calamari, octopus, squid, shrimp, scallops. Silversides and more. Hes also pretty picky, since he knows he can get a variety he'll sometimes turn down certain foods and only eat one of the others -_- spoiled brat lol. I try to vary his diet as much as possible.

He did eat a small clown and 2 bengai cardinals when i first got him, but he was much more aggressive back then. I tried getting them out beforehand but i wouldve had to tear the rock apart. He never bothered the bigger fish though and since he realized he could eat anything he wanted he never shows any interest in the other fish anymore. Adding new fish is always a bit scary cause he will check them out and give them a sniff down but he hasnt eaten any live fish since he was first added.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my fish eat a better diet than I do as well lol.
It sounds like he's very loved and well taken care of, I look forward to seeing more photos and updates! Def following this thread :)

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my fish eat a better diet than I do as well lol.
It sounds like he's very loved and well taken care of, I look forward to seeing more photos and updates! Def following this thread :)
Yeah i treat him like one of my dogs, i love him very much. And ill be sure to update this thread fairly often. Especially with progress of the new tank.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i treat him like one of my dogs, i love him very much. And ill be sure to update this thread fairly often. Especially with progress of the new tank.
That’s awesome! I love eels to and will probly get a tessalata once I move , I’ve kept snakes all my life and eels are just water snakes for the most part lol

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I love eels to and will probly get a tessalata once I move , I’ve kept snakes all my life and eels are just water snakes for the most part lol
Originally i got into eels cause my mom wouldnt let me keep snakes as a kid, then after my first freshwater moray i fell in love with them haha

Just be prepared to get more than a 600g home for a tess, they get huge and are pretty aggressive compared to other eels. They are another one of my favorites. Heres one i had a few years back, not the best picture but the only one i have.
FB_IMG_1564523510245.jpg

Last edited:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so cool! Ye it would have to have a huge tank for a Tess but I could make it work. Love yr dragon eel tho that’s a dream fish. I wonder how keeping an actual sea snake would work haha

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so cool! Ye it would have to have a huge tank for a Tess but I could make it work. Love yr dragon eel tho that’s a dream fish. I wonder how keeping an actual sea snake would work haha
I think the hardest part would be just finding a sea snake. It would be super cool though. Id bet its doable but im not sure what youd be able to keep with it. They do have snake eels though which are very similar and easier to keep and get ahold of. Its really cool to see their hunting behavior, they dig into the sand to find prey or drag prey into the sandbed.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to insta isn’t working , but ye I actually did find a sea snake distributor from Thailand at one point but sea snakes are highly venemous lol I don’t think I would want to own one , my cobra was a False water cobra so while venemous it’s like a bad bee sting and not fatal

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to insta isn’t working , but ye I actually did find a sea snake distributor from Thailand at one point but sea snakes are highly venemous lol I don’t think I would want to own one , my cobra was a False water cobra so while venemous it’s like a bad bee sting and not fatal
Yeah youd have to be careful for sure. And i guess his instagram was private so i found a youtube video of one and edited the post

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of all my tanks this 230g is the first one that i plan on being 100% sterile. With my 265g ive beyond lost hope of ever getting rid of the bubble algae and aiptasia. Ive tried every last thing under the sun possible without tearing it down. Joes juice, aiptasia x, lazers, Berghias, filefish, copperband, peppermints, you name it ive tried it and hasnt dented the aiptasia. Emerald crabs walk right over the bubble algae. The tangs do the best but can only keep the bubble algae managed where they can reach. It still grows in the areas they cant get to and i have to regularly clean them out of my sps with thicker branches. That tank never had any quarantine for coral and was started with live rock 15 years ago or so. Life abosuletly thrives but it's also a headache constantly cleaning and managing the infestations.

So for this tank, every last thing is getting quarantined. I will not let any pests in this tank to avoid the headaches of my other one.

To start the process all my rock is gonna be sanitized. Ive always saved my live rock over the years, and always reused it. This some of that good fiji rock that you cant get anymore. Although its not much good without the bacteria anymore but you get the point haha. Today i acided washed them with muriatic acid. I followed the brs guide and did 1 gallon acid to 20g water for 15mins. Im letting them dry and in a couple days theyll start a week long bleach bath. After that ill begin cycling them with bottled bacteria.

20210722_203352.jpg
20210722_185914.jpg

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Where are you from?"

"Im from the ocean..."

"Ah the ocean... AHHHH THE OCEAN, AHHHHH, HE HASNT BEEN DECONTAMINATED YET"

Instagram link if the video doesnt work for you

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had any updates due to the basement flooding earlier this year. But i can finally say the 230g tank is in the house. Turns out the bulkheads i got with the tank were the wrong size, so i have to get some new ones and the material for plumbing, and then finally should be able to get this thing rolling.

In the meantime enjoy some more of Shenron

IMG_20220126_150202_743.jpg

20211106_175249.jpg
20210719_125618.jpg
20210325_114409.jpg

20210202_181718.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back